Coming up in this episode…
- I’m scanning more QR codes
- Presidential candidates are nerds too
- Oh, those Japanese
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Voice Mail: SFEdwards:
- New listener
- Burt Rutan
Q: What was the worst comic book or superhero name?
- John: The Whizzer (from Deadpool)
- Gary: Black Goliath, Circus of Crime, Squirrel Girl, Lady Deathstrike, Flat Man, Great Lakes Avengers, Kid Rawhide
- Michael: Plastic Man
- Jeremy: Dazzler
On This Day In History for June 24, 2015
This is the 175th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 190 days remaining in 2015.
- It was on this date in 109 that Roman emperor Trajan inaugurates the Aqua Traiana, an aqueduct that channels water from Lake Bracciano, 40 kilometres (25 miles) north-west of Rome.
- Also today in 1374, A sudden outbreak of St. John’s Dance causes people in the streets of Aachen, Germany, to experience hallucinations and begin to jump and twitch uncontrollably until they collapse from exhaustion.
- June 24, 1497, John Cabot lands in North America at Newfoundland leading the first European exploration of the region since the Vikings.
- Exactly 100 years later, the first Dutch voyage to the East Indies reaches Bantam (on Java).
- It was 411 years ago today that Samuel de Champlain discovers the mouth of the Saint John River, site of Reversing Falls and the present day city of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
- Also today in 1717, The Premier Grand Lodge of England, the first Masonic Grand Lodge in the world (now the United Grand Lodge of England), is founded in London.
- It was this date in 1916, Mary Pickford becomes the first female film star to sign a million dollar contract.
- It was 97 years ago today that First airmail service in Canada from Montreal to Toronto.
- That same date in 1938, Pieces of a meteor, estimated to have weighed 450 metric tons when it hit the Earth’s atmosphere and exploded, land near Chicora, Pennsylvania.
- Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington 68 years ago today.
- It was 66 years ago today that the first television western, Hopalong Cassidy, is aired on NBC starring William Boyd.
- June 24, 1981 the Humber Bridge is opens to traffic, connecting Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. It would be the world’s longest single-span suspension bridge for 17 years.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to
- French geographer and author Jean-Baptiste Benoît Eyriès, born on this date in 1767.
- Also born that same date in 1771 French chemist and industrialist Éleuthère Irénée du Pont.
- American astronomer Caroline Furness was born 146 years ago today.
- Walt Disney’s brother and co-founder of the Walt Disney Company, Roy O. Disney was born today in 1893.
- English astronomer and author Fred Hoyle would have been 100 today.
- Another astronomer, Archie Roy, was born June 24, 1924.
- Let’s just call this International Astronomer Day… Astronomer Carolyn Shoemaker turns 86 today.
- And finally an odd birthday coincidence from Hollywood… the original RoboCop, Peter Weller, celebrates his 68th birthday today while his co-host Nancy Allen turns 65.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 24, 2015
- *Breaking News* ‘Star Wars’ Anakin Skywalker Star Jake Lloyd — Arrested After Crazy Car Chase
- Fail: Guy dresses up as girlfriend to take her test
- Family gets death threats for Father’s Day picture
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 – Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, Pa
- 26 – Patrick Norton
- 26 – Daughter of Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Jordan Burkhead, daughter of Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Martin McKeay (Accch, this is the Big 40!)
- 30 – Alexis Duran (ADdude)
- 30 – C.A. Sizemore
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room -WAIT!
The video feed is temporarily offline. YouTube changed their protocol and Wirecast 4 no longer works. SURPRISE! YouTube changed their API from v2 to v3 and we missed the memo. We could use your help. The cost to upgrade the software is $400. If you want to see Kreg interact with the show, then it’s $700. If you want to help bring the video feed back, Go to ChuckChat.com, click on Technorama, scroll down a bit and on the right side you will see One-Time Donation via PayPal. We appreciate your help. The audio feed will remain unaffected and still work. We also recognize a fair number of you are watching the video because quite a few things happen on video that don’t make it in the show. We also include photos that go along with the stories we cover. We really hate begging like a telethon, but want to make you aware of what’s going on around here and hope you can spare a few bucks to bring back the video feed.
- Jaws: 40 years of bad science
- But hey, we’ve now got Quint’s Death Scene toys!
- Star Wars Ep IV finally opens in China
- Jeb Bush hides part of the Die Hard script in his web site
- Kreg’s Heroes Con Weekend
Question of the week:
- What are your earliest memories of the web?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five