Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Chuck saw RoboCop (2014)
- Kreg saw 3D content from Netflix
On This Day In History for February 19, 2014
This is the 50th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 315 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1600 that the Peruvian stratovolcano Huaynaputina explodes in the most violent eruption in the recorded history of South America.
- That same date in 1819 – British explorer William Smith discovers the South Shetland Islands, and claims them in the name of King George III.
- The first group of rescuers reaches the Donner Party on this date in 1847.
- February 19, 1876 was the founding of the National Amateur Press Association (NAPA) in Philadelphia.
- Thomas Edison patents the phonograph today in 1878.
- 54 years ago today China successfully launches the T-7, its first sounding rocket.
- William J. Schroeder becomes the first recipient of an artificial heart to leave hospital on this date in 1985.
- 12 years ago, NASA’s Mars Odyssey space probe begins to map the surface of Mars using its thermal emission imaging system.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Polish mathematician and astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus born on this date in 1473
- Also born on this date in 1660 – German physician and chemist Friedrich Hoffmann
- Sven Hedin, the Swedish geographer and explorer was born today in 1865
- Actor Lee Marvin, would have been 90 today.
- Physician/astronaut Joseph P. Kerwin turns 82 today.
- Game designer and programmer Danielle Bunten Berry, was born today in 1949
- and finally Mexican astronaut Rodolfo Neri Vela turns 62
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 19, 2014
- UTMB scientists successfully grow human lungs in lab in just three days | abc13.com
- Nike Promises Back to the Future Part II-Inspired Power Laces in 2015! – ComingSoon.net
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 19 – Scooter in Connecticut
- 19 – Steve in Sumter
- 23 – Zhadum
- 23 – Keith Hughes (a.k.a. EdGizmo)
- 25 – Norbert
- 25 – Sandi Sheppard (Mark’s lovely wife)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Let’s Go Halfsies: $5-Million Victorian Mansion With Spaceship Playhouse In Attic | Geekologie
- ‘Fish on Wheels’ frees your guppy from the tyranny of the tank (video)
- NASA is working on Star Trek healing devices—’it’s not sci-fi anymore’
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Georges Lemaitre: The Greatest Scientist You’ve Never Heard Of
- Tell Me You Wouldn’t Buy This Snow-Fighting Fire Plow
- You All Forgot That Luke Skywalker is a BAMF | Tor.com
- Dune that could have been… ‘Jodorowsky’s Dune’ Theatrical Trailer | Watch the video – Yahoo Movies
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time. If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information. Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five 101!