In this episode…
- A crack in the center of the earth
- The most expensive way to fly in to the sun
- A way to turn your dead relatives into a cheap source of fuel
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Voicemail from Mark in Memphis in Dropbox
- From listener Jack – this email:
Grandma Grace is still with us. We’re taking her out for her birthday tonight. She’ll be listening to this episode later today.
15 grand kids
8 great-grand kids
2 great-great grand kids
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 15 – Miss Eliza Sea from Wingin’ It 3D
- 16 – Joe Edmisson
- 16 – Jason from The Angry Geek
- 17 – Digital Dan from the Hook Show
- 18 – Luke (platypuss72) from UK
- 18 – Xianfox from Appleton
- 19 – Steven (sphen603) from Wichita, Kansas
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for June 13, 2012
- It was on this date in 1805 that Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, was scouting ahead with four companions and sight the Great Falls of the Missouri River.
- Also today in 1927 – Aviator Charles Lindbergh receives a ticker-tape parade down 5th Avenue in New York City.
- An historic meeting between Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini takes place on June 13, 1934 in Venice, Italy; Mussolini later describes the German dictator as “a silly little monkey”.
- The first diamond mine in the USSR, the Mir Mine, is discovered today in 1955
- and today in 1969 – Governor of Texas Preston Smith signs a bill into law converting the former Southwest Center for Advanced Studies, originally founded as a research arm of Texas Instruments, into the University of Texas at Dallas.
- It was on this date in 1970 – “The Long and Winding Road” becomes the Beatles‘ last Number 1 song.
- Convicted Martin Luther King Jr. assassin James Earl Ray is recaptured on June 13, 1977 after escaping from prison three days before.
- 29 years ago Pioneer 10 becomes the first man-made object to leave the central Solar System when it passes beyond the orbit of Neptune (the furthest planet from the Sun at the time)
- 18 years ago a jury in Anchorage, Alaska, blames recklessness by Exxon and Captain Joseph Hazelwood for the Exxon Valdez disaster, allowing victims of the oil spill to seek $15 billion in damages.
- A jury sentences Timothy McVeigh to death for his part in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing on this date in 1997.
- and just 2 short years ago, a capsule of the Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa, containing particles of the asteroid 25143 Itokawa, returns to Earth
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell, the man who helped us understand the relationship between magnets and electricty born today in 1831
- Also born today in 1906, Italian mathematician Bruno de Finetti
- American physicist and Nobel laureat, Luis Alvarez was born today in 1911
- That same birthday is shared with German-born physicist Erwin Wilhelm Müller
- American mathematician John Forbes Nash, Jr. celebrates his 84th birthday today
- Dr. Tolian Soran from Star Trek Generations, actor Malcolm McDowell turns 69
- and finally Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman turns 46.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 13, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Image of the Day: The Matrix reimagined as a ’60s pulp sci-fi novel | Blastr
- WANT! Bender version of Operation
- Khan30: Watch Rare 1982 Star Trek II Interviews w/ Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley & Montalban + Making Of ILM FX | TrekMovie.com
- Behind the Scenes At “Return of the Jedi” « Nerdist
What the Chuck!
- From Mad Marv! The manslator
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a ANYONE about Technorama and…
- binary high five