In this episode…
- Is George Lucas doing another edit on Star Wars?
- When the next Transit of Venus is
- The best way to send your money to Nigeria
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 06 – Adam Larson (UncleAdam)
- 06 – Grandma Grace (1921)
- 08 – Bobby Irvin
- 10 – Tim (from Australia)
- 10 – Weber (BTW June 10 – AA was founded 1935)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Email from Michelle
- Listening to the guys from @Technorama explain how Chris Hemsworth must have done P90X for demigods to get his build. Hilarious!
- Vmail from Mark
On This Day In History for June 6, 2012
- It was on this date in 1683 that the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, England, opens as the world’s first university museum.
- Also today in 1822 – Alexis St. Martin was accidentally shot in the stomach, which leads way to William Beaumont’s studies on digestion.
- U.S. President Andrew Jackson becomes the first President to ride on a train today in 1833
- June 6, 1892 – Chicago ‘L’ begins operation
- Teenagers rejoice today in 1933 as the first drive-in theater opens, in Camden, New Jersey.
- Under a temporary order, the rocket launches at Cuxhaven, Germany, are terminated, though they never resume on this date in 1964.
- also today in 1971 – Soyuz 11 launches.
- Tetris, one of the best-selling video games of all-time, is released June 6, 1984
- and just 10 years ago today, a near-Earth asteroid estimated at 10 meters diameter explodes over the Mediterranean Sea between Greece and Libya. The resulting explosion is estimated to have a force of 26 kilotons, slightly more powerful than the Nagasaki atomic bomb.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- 1436 – Regiomontanus, German mathematician
- 1580 – Godefroy Wendelin, Flemish astronomer
- 1850 – Karl Ferdinand Braun, German physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1857 – Aleksandr Lyapunov, Russian mathematician
- 1868 – Sir Robert Falcon Scott, English explorer
- 1906 – Max August Zorn, German-born mathematician
- American astronaut David Scott turns 80 today.
- Swiss physicist, and Nobel laureate Heinrich Rohrer celebrates his 79th
- American scientist, and Nobel laureate Phillip Allen Sharp turns 68.
- and finally Freddy Kreuger, actor Robert Englund turns 65.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 6, 2012
- School gets a little harder for new kids – Two new elements added
- Dropbox offers additional storage for saving your photos directly to Dropbox
Hacks & Strange Stories
- You Wouldn’t Want To Drop This Commodore 64 Bass – From Encaf
- A quick look at awesome Iron Man Mark 7 Costume – From Mike Wills
- That is some Serious cosplay! – Woops: Guy Dyes Himself Green Cosplaying As The Hulk | Geekologie
- Michael Dorn Is Pitching A Star Trek Movie About Worf | Giant Freakin Robot
- MIB3 anyone?
- Listener Mike Hall’s lightning image
What the Chuck!
- Hey eBay hackers – stop wasting my time!
What the Kreg!
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five