In this episode…
- A boy with a backwards leg
- What to do now that you’re left behind from the rapture
- We’ll tell you about Darth Vader’s new night gig
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 22 – Tim Elliott
- 23 –Kris Ziel Host and producer of The AVScastand 24 Under Review
- 26 – Eli Yukelzon
- 27 – Tonya from Dancing With Elephants
- 28 – Chris Martens, Host of The Jesus Geeks, Z Net Central, and Producer of On The Edge Of Darkness
- 30 –Petri Lopia
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On this day in history for May 25, 2011
- At the Nevada Test Site, the United States conduct their first and only nuclear artillery test today in 1953
- On that same day, the first public television station in the United States officially begins broadcasting as KUHT from the campus of the University of Houston.
- It was also today in 1961 that U.S. President John F. Kennedy announces before a special joint session of the Congress his goal to initiate a project to put a “man on the Moon” before the end of the decade.
- One year later in 1962, the last overnight steamboat service in the United States, The Old Bay Line, goes out of business.
- Explorer 32 launched on this date in 1966
- It was May 25, 1977 – that Star Wars (retitled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope in 1981) is released in theaters, inspiring the Jediism religion and Geek Pride Day holiday.
- and today in 2001 – 32-year-old Erik Weihenmayer, of Boulder, Colorado, becomes the first blind person to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
Happy Birthday goes out on this date to:
- Pieter Zeeman, Dutch physicist, born today in 1865
- also born today in 1889 – Russian-born American aviation designer Igor Sikorsky
- German-born physicist and Nobel Prize laureate Jack Steinberger turns 90 today
- and turning 80 today is Russian cosmonaut Georgy Grechko
- The great actor who played Gandalf, Magneto, and a long list of other great characters, actor Ian McKellen turns 72.
- turning 67 today is American mathemetician Robert MacPherson
- Actor, Director, and the voice of Yoda, Miss Piggy, Fozzy Bear, Grover, and many other puppets “turns 67, also Frank Oz does”.
- and finally Slovak cosmonaut Ivan Bella celebrates his 47th birthday today
And don’t forget May 25th is Geek Pride Day and Towel Day. Show your geek pride!
That’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 25, 2011
Hacks & Strange Stories
- It’s a bus, it’s a tank – what’s not to get
- Left behind by the rapture?
- Use the Rapture JetPak
- BBC News – Bionic hand for ‘elective amputation’ patient
- Archival photos of the Globe’s strangely webpage-like Newspaper Row storefront, 1912-1963 | Beta Boston :
- Admiral Ackbar’s own line of pest control
- Death Star Ameteur Hour – you WILL cheer
- Lapti Nek won’t be in the blu-ray edition of Jedi
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five