Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for July 30, 2014
This is the 211th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 154 days remaining until the end of the year.
- It was on this date in 1502 that Christopher Columbus lands at Guanaja in the Bay Islands off the coast of Honduras during his fourth voyage.
- That same date in 1859 saw the first ascent of Grand Combin, one of the highest summits in the Alps.
- The premiere of Walt Disney’s Flowers and Trees, the first cartoon short to use Technicolor and the first Academy Award winning cartoon short was on this date in 1932.
- The Trans-Canada Highway, the largest national highway in the world, is officially opened. today in 1962.
- David Scott and James Irwin on the Apollo Lunar Module module Falcon land on the Moon with the first Lunar Rover during the Apollo 15 mission today in 1971.
- On this infamous date in 1975 – Jimmy Hoffa disappeared from the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, at about 2:30 p.m. He is never seen or heard from again, and will be declared legally dead on this date in 1982.
- Only 11 years ago today, the last ‘old style’ Volkswagen Beetle rolls off the assembly line in Mexico.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- German businessman Georg Wilhelm von Siemens, born on this date in 1855
- Founder of the Ford Motor company, Henry Ford was born today in 1863
- From the entertainment industry we have several birthdays (all still living as of this recording)
- Puppeteer and producer Sid Krofft turns 85
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is 67 today
- Singer-songwriter, guitarist, and actor Frank Stallone is 64.
- Actor and producer Laurence Fishburne is 53
- And finally Director, screenwriter, and producer, Christopher Nolan is 44.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 30, 2014
Listener Birthday (and other things) Calendar
- July 30 -Brian Hunt aka Zaphod Bblx
- July 31 – Wedding Anniversary of Will The Computer Guy (2007, 9 years)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at@Ctomasi,@Steppek, and@technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And evenGoogle Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more atFriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated withFarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on theweb site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five
Podcast: Play in new window