Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Voice mail from Gary in FL
- Voice mail from anonymous
- Question of the week
On This Day In History for January 8, 2020
This is the 8th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 358 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1790, that George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York City.
- It was also this date in 1828 that The Democratic Party of the United States is organized.
- January 8, 1835, The United States national debt is zero for the only time.
- It was on this date in 1889, Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’ — his punched card calculator.
- Soviet space mission Luna 21 is launched on this date in 1973.
- It was 39 years ago today, that A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
- January 8, 1982, AT&T agrees to divest itself of twenty-two subdivisions as part of the breakup of the Bell System.
- It was on this date in 1994, that Russian cosmonaut Valeri Polyakov on Soyuz TM-18 leaves for Mir. He would stay on the space station until March 22, 1995, for a record 437 days in space.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German astronomer and academic, Johannes Fabricius, born on this date in 1587.
- Frank Nelson Doubleday, the American publisher, founded the Doubleday Publishing Company was born 158 years ago today.
- German physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Walther Bothe was born 129 years ago today.
- William Hartnell, the English actor was born 112 years ago today.
- Born January 8, 1911, American actress, dancer, and author Gypsy Rose Lee.
- German-American computer scientist and author, Joseph Weizenbaum, born on this date in 1923.
- American singer, guitarist, and actor, Elvis Presley was born 85 years ago today.
- American game show host and producer, Bob Eubanks is 82 today.
- Graham Chapman, English actor and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1941.
- Born January 8, 1942, English physicist and author Stephen Hawking.
Listener Birthdays (January 1-14)
- 03 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
- 06 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
- 08 – Elvis!
- 09 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
- 14 – Glynne Tolar
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 8, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Astronomers Have Found an Earth-Size Planet Practically Next-Door to Us
- Reporters from around the world get a look at Mars 2020 mission rover at Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Mummified captain found in ‘ghost ship’ he sailed in for seven years after death
- NEW YEAR POSES ANOTHER GRAVE CONCERN ANY TOMBSTONE ETCHED WITH A ’19’ WILL NEED FIXING
- Astrophysicist Says He Knows How to Build a Time Machine
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
|Matt Baum||Kristina||Brian Brown|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- You gain the ability to stop time. After stopping time what’s the first thing you’re going to do?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five