Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for November 20, 2019
This is the 324th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 41 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1789, that New Jersey becomes the first U.S. state to ratify the Bill of Rights.
- November 20, 1805, Beethoven’s only opera, Fidelio, premieres in Vienna.
- It was on this date in 1820, that An 80-ton sperm whale attacks and sinks the Essex (a whaling ship from Nantucket, Massachusetts) 2,000 miles from the western coast of South America. (Herman Melville’s 1851 novel Moby-Dick is in part inspired by this story.).
- November 20, 1947, The Princess Elizabeth marries Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, who becomes the Duke of Edinburgh, at Westminster Abbey in London.
- It was on this date in 1969, that Native American activists seize control of Alcatraz Island until being ousted by the U.S. Government on June 11, 1971.
- It was 34 years ago today that Microsoft Windows 1.0 is released.
- It was also this date in 1998 that Zarya – the first space station module component for the International Space Station was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French astronomer, Pierre Charles Le Monnier, born on this date in 1715.
- José Antonio Alzate y Ramírez, the Spanish-Mexican scientist and cartographer was born 282 years ago today.
- Victor D’Hondt, Belgian mathematician, lawyer, and jurist was born on that same date in 1841.
- William Coblentz, the American physicist was born 146 years ago today.
- Edwin Hubble, American astronomer and cosmologist was born on that same date in 1889.
- French mathematician, André Bloch, born on this date in 1893.
- British-American journalist and author, Alistair Cooke was born 111 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1939, American actor and comedian, Dick Smothers.
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, and actor, Joe Walsh, born on this date in 1947.
- Also born on that same date in 1968, American astronaut, James Dutton.
Listener birthdays for November 13-26:
- 15 – Jackie Breller (Krazy Joe & Christine’s daughter)
- 15 – Chuck Jolley aka nitestarr – (Horn Lake, MS)
- 22 – Tom Posz – (from California, USA)
- 25 – Lane Williams
- 26 – Joanie
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 20, 2019
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- NASA unveils its first electric airplane – a work in progress – Reuters
- Nine-year-old child genius to graduate university – CNN
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Speech pathologist teaches her dog to use a soundboard and now it communicates in sentences – Upworthy
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Rod Stewart’s secret hit track! After 26 years, the rocker reveals his completed model railway | Daily Mail Online
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Microsoft successfully archives Warner Bros. ‘Superman’ movie on a piece of glass – TechSpot
- AMC Games’ first title is the intentionally boring ‘Airplane Mode’ | Engadget
- Meet the Town of Pine Bush, UFO Capital of the World – Supercluster
- This Algorithm Can Remove the Water from Underwater Photos, and the Results are Incredible
Question of the week:
- Without naming the movie, what’s one line that would give it away?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five