Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for September 25, 2019
This is the 268th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 97 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1513, that Spanish explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa reaches what would become known as the Pacific Ocean.
- On September 25, 1690, Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick, the first newspaper to appear in the Americas, is published for the first and only time.
- The Teton Sioux (a subdivision of the Lakota) demand one of the boats from the Lewis and Clark Expedition as a toll for allowing the expedition to move further upriver on this date in 1804.
- That same date in 1890, The United States Congress establishes Sequoia National Park.
- It was on this date in 1906, that Leonardo Torres y Quevedo demonstrates the Telekino, guiding a boat from the shore, in what is considered to be the first use of a remote control.
- That same date in 1956, TAT-1, the first submarine transatlantic telephone cable system, is inaugurated.
- It was also this date in 1977 that About 4,200 people take part in the first running of the Chicago Marathon.
- September 25, 1992, NASA launches the Mars Observer. Eleven months later, the probe would fail while preparing for orbital insertion.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English explorer and navigator, Steven Borough, born on this date in 1525.
- Ole Rømer, the Danish astronomer and instrument maker was born 375 years ago today.
- Jean-Baptiste Élie de Beaumont, French geologist and engineer was born on that same date in 1798.
- German palaeontologist and geologist, Karl Alfred von Zittel, born on this date in 1839.
- Harald Cramér, Swedish mathematician and statistician was born on that same date in 1893.
- Russian pianist and composer, Dmitri Shostakovich was born 113 years ago today.
- Also turning 90 today is American journalist, producer, and author Barbara Walters.
- American author, poet, illustrator, and songwriter, Shel Silverstein, born on this date in 1930.
- American toy creator and author, created Teddy Ruxpin, Ken Forsse was born 83 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1937, American computer scientist and lawyer, Mary Allen Wilkes.
- American actor and producer, Michael Douglas is 75 today.
- American actor, singer, and producer, Mark Hamill, born on this date in 1951.
- Christopher Reeve, American actor, producer, and activist was born on that same date in 1952.
- Also born on that same date in 1956, American special effects designer and television host, founded M5 Industries, Jamie Hyneman.
- Also turning 63 today is American computer scientist, engineer, and author, founded the Thinking Machines Corporation W. Daniel Hillis.
- American actress, Heather Locklear is 58 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1969, Welsh actress, Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- 20 – Joel Harper (Rincewind) / Milwaukee WI
- 20 -Joel Rickenbach [deceased] (host of the You’ve Got Geek Podcast)
- 21 – Dean Jensen (Beaker1)
- 22 – Matthew Tjarks (Jharks)
- 26 – Brett (from Wales)
- 01 – 10/1 = 101 & Stephen Wesche (From Saint Louis Missouri) (Pronounced Like the first part of the word “Wet” and the word “She”)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 25, 2019
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Peruvian Company Creates Wooden Laptop Designed to Last Forever
- Decades-old missing person case solved with Google Earth photos
- Ig Nobel Prizes honors the strangest, most unusual, and downright hilarious scientific research – CNN
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Store Clerk Memorizes Credit Card Info from Over 1,300 People, Uses It Online
- Man Builds Children’s Playhouse Out of 2,000 Packets of Instant Noodles
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
|Matt Baum||Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week
- Finish this: If I send a 140 character message to my younger self, I’d write…
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five