Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Previous Question of the week: “What’s the most powerful scene you’ve seen in a movie?“
- What is your favorite port of ports past?
On This Day In History for August 7, 2019
This is the 219th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 146 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1782, that George Washington orders the creation of the Badge of Military Merit to honor soldiers wounded in battle. It is later renamed to the more poetic Purple Heart.
- On August 7, 1789, The United States Department of War is established.
- Also on August 7, 1909, Alice Huyler Ramsey and three friends become the first women to complete a transcontinental auto trip, taking 59 days to travel from New York, New York to San Francisco, California.
- IBM dedicates the first program-controlled calculator, the Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (known best as the Harvard Mark I) on this date in 1944.
- It was 72 years ago today, that Thor Heyerdahl’s balsa wood raft the Kon-Tiki, smashes into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands after a 101 -day, 7,000 kilometres (4,300 mi) journey across the Pacific Ocean in an attempt to prove that pre-historic peoples could have traveled from South America.
- Also today in 1955, Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, sells its first transistor radios in Japan.
- It was on this date in 1959, that The Lincoln Memorial design on the U.S. penny goes into circulation. It replaces the “sheaves of wheat” design, and was minted until 2008.
- Also on August 7, 1959, Explorer 6 launches from the Atlantic Missile Range in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- Viking 2 enters orbit around Mars on this date in 1976.
- August 7, 1987, Lynne Cox becomes first person to swim from the United States to the Soviet Union, crossing the Bering Strait from Little Diomede Island in Alaska to Big Diomede in the Soviet Union.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French navigator and explorer, Louis de Freycinet, born on this date in 1779.
- Kermit Love, the American actor, puppeteer, and costume designer was born 103 years ago today.
- Stan Freberg, American puppeteer, voice actor, and singer was born on that same date in 1926.
- Canadian-American magician and author, James Randi is 91 today.
- Also turning 77 today is American singer B. J. Thomas.
- American humorist, novelist, short story writer, and radio host, Garrison Keillor, born on this date in 1942.
- Also born on that same date in 1960, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, David Duchovny.
- American actor, Cirroc Lofton, born on this date in 1978.
- 08 – Philippa Ballantine
- 09 – Matt Coe (WoWaddict) 
- 09 – Julia Posz – (Technorama Promo)
- 10 – Sam Martin
- 11 – Steve Wozniak
- 11 – David Brewer (Tyrion The Imp)
- 13 – Christine Fiore MegaPodTastic and Honey, You’ve *GOT* to See This!
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 7, 2019
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Hacks & Strange Stories
- How a NASA Photographer Accidentally Became the First Person to Touch Moon Dust 50 Years Ago | Space
- A look behind the scenes of 1968 film ‘Planet of the Apes’
- Fujitsu Has an Employee Who Keeps a 1959 Computer Running – ExtremeTech
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Chuck went to see Weird Al
Question of the week:
- Who is your geek/nerd idol or hero?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can also find us on Spotify and Radio Public, Google Podcast, etc.
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five