Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Mike Wills says, ” I can’t believe you guys missed the softball throw on this… What noise should an electric car make? Remember the Jetsons? https://youtu.be/QdWswvLPdE0“
On This Day In History for July 24, 2019
This is the 205th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 160 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1534, that French explorer Jacques Cartier plants a cross on the Gaspé Peninsula and takes possession of the territory in the name of Francis I of France.
- Also on July 24, 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac founds the trading post at Fort Pontchartrain, which later becomes the city of Detroit.
- July 24, 1847, After 17 months of travel, Brigham Young leads 148 Mormon pioneers into Salt Lake Valley, resulting in the establishment of Salt Lake City.
- That same date in 1847, Richard March Hoe, American inventor, patented the rotary-type printing press.
- 84 years ago today, The Dust Bowl heat wave reaches its peak, sending temperatures to 109 °F (43 °C) in Chicago and 104 °F (40 °C) in Milwaukee.
- Also on July 24, 1950, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station begins operations with the launch of a Bumper rocket.
- It was on this date in 1966, that Michael Pelkey makes the first BASE jump from El Capitan along with Brian Schubert. Both came out with broken bones. BASE jumping has now been banned from El Cap.
- That same date in 1969, Apollo 11 splashes down safely in the Pacific Ocean.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and explorer, Joseph Nicollet, born on this date in 1786.
- Polish-German mathematician and theorist, Friedrich Schottky was born 168 years ago today.
- French mathematician and academic, Émile Picard, born on this date in 1856.
- Amelia Earhart, the American pilot and author was born 122 years ago today.
- Kenneth S. Kleinknecht, NASA manager was born on that same date in 1919.
- Also turning 87 today is German astronomer and academic Gustav Andreas Tammann.
- American actress and comedian, Ruth Buzzi is 83 today.
- American actor, Mark Goddard, born on this date in 1936.
- Canadian-American astrophysicist and astronomer, Hugh Ross is 74 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1946, American comedian and actor, Gallagher.
- Also turning 68 today is American actress Lynda Carter.
- American actress, singer, and dancer, Jennifer Lopez is 50 today.
- Also turning 38 today is American actress Summer Glau.
- 27 – Aaron Heath (Adelaide, Australia)
- 27 – Wife of Will The Computer Guy
- 29 – Shaun Farrell, host of the Adventures in Scifi Publishing podcast
- 30 -Brian Hunt aka Zaphodbblx
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 24, 2019
- Physicists Have Reversed Time on The Smallest Scale by Using a Quantum Computer
- NASA’s Hubble telescope detects supermassive black hole that defies theoretical models
- ‘Holy Grail’ of computer science found in Quantum Computing
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Any Reaction to SDCC stuff? Marvel, Star Trek, etc
- You Can Own A Futurama “Shut Up And Take My Money!” Credit Card
- Kreg: Finished Stranger Things Season 3
- My Friend is opening up a Barcade
- Player 1 Up
Question of the week:
- What’s the most powerful scene you’ve seen in a movie?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can also find us on Spotify and Radio Public, Google Podcast, etc.
- Thanks to Ben from The Two Gay Geeks for Joining us!
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five