Coming up in this episode…
- Old Space
- Modern Internet Companies
- Planet Hunters
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for September 26, 2018
This is the 269th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 96 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1580, that Sir Francis Drake finishes his circumnavigation of the Earth.
- It was 113 years ago today, that Albert Einstein published his first paper on the special theory of relativity.
- That same date in 1914, The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is established by the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- It was 85 years ago today, As gangster Machine Gun Kelly surrenders to the FBI, he shouts out, “Don’t shoot, G-Men!”, which becomes a nickname for FBI agents.
- Steamship RMS Queen Mary is launched on this date in 1934.
- Also on September 26, 1960, In Chicago, the first televised debate takes place between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- That same date in 1969, Abbey Road, the last recorded album by The Beatles, is released.
- September 26, 1973, Concorde makes its first non-stop crossing of the Atlantic in record-breaking time.
- It was 41 years ago today, that The first reactor Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant is completed and the power plant opens for official usage, the first nuclear power plant in the (then) Ukrainian SSR.
- It was also this date in 1983 that Soviet nuclear false alarm incident: Military officer Stanislav Petrov identifies a report of an incoming nuclear missile as a computer error and not an American first strike.
- September 26, 2005, The PBS Kids Channel is shut down and replaced by a joint network with Comcast called Sprout.
- 10 years ago today, Swiss pilot and inventor Yves Rossy becomes first person to fly a jet engine-powered wing across the English Channel.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American gardener and environmentalist, Johnny Appleseed, born on this date in 1774.
- Théodore Géricault, the French painter and lithographer was born 227 years ago today.
- American photographer and activist, Lewis Hine, born on this date in 1874.
- Barnes Wallis, the English scientist and engineer, invented the Bouncing bomb was born 131 years ago today.
- T. S. Eliot, English poet, playwright, critic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1888.
- Born September 26, 1898, American pianist and composer George Gershwin.
- American fitness expert, Jack LaLanne, born on this date in 1914.
- Jean Hoerni, Swiss physicist, inventor and businessman was born on that same date in 1924.
- Robert Cade, the American physician and educator, co-invented Gatorade was born 91 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1948, English-Australian singer-songwriter and actress, Olivia Newton-John.
- American actress, Linda Hamilton, born on this date in 1956.
- 9/26 – Brett (from Wales)
- 10/1 = 101 & Stephen Wesche (From Saint Louis Missouri) (Pronounced Like the first part of the word “Wet” and the word “She”)
- 02 – Adam Rumpke
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for Sept 26, 2018
- They Made It! Japan’s Two Hopping Rovers Successfully Land on Asteroid Ryugu
- First hydrogen-powered train hits the tracks in Germany | Ars Technica
- NASA’s New Planet Hunter Just Found Its 1st Alien World — an Evaporating ‘Super-Earth’
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Modern Internet Company Logos Reimagined As 1970’s – 1990’s Animated Television Intros – Geekologie
- Old Space Travel Predictions Can Be Super Depressing in 2018
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- What is your favorite Time Travel movie?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five