Coming up in this episode…
- Atari 2600
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Post Cards from Jorge
On This Day In History for September 19, 2018
This is the 262nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 103 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1676, that Jamestown is burned to the ground by the forces of Nathaniel Bacon during Bacon’s Rebellion.
- That same date in 1778, The Continental Congress passes the first United States federal budget.
- It was on this date in 1796, that George Washington’s Farewell Address is printed across America as an open letter to the public.
- On September 19, 1852, Annibale De Gasparis discovers in Naples the asteroid Massalia from the north dome of the Astronomical Observatory of Capodimonte.
- September 19, 1879, The Blackpool Illuminations are switched on for the first time.
- 66 years ago today, The United States bars Charlie Chaplin from re-entering the country after a trip to England.
- Also on September 19, 1957, First American underground nuclear bomb test (part of Operation Plumbbob).
- Also today in 1970, The first Glastonbury Festival is held, at a farm belonging to Michael Eavis.
- It was 36 years ago today, that Scott Fahlman posts the first documented emoticons 🙂 and 🙁 on the Carnegie Mellon University bulletin board system.
- 33 years ago today, Tipper Gore and other political wives form the Parents Music Resource Center as Frank Zappa and other musicians testify at U.S. Congressional hearings on obscenity in rock music.
- Ötzi the Iceman discovered in the Alps on the border between Italy and Austria on this date in 1991.
- It was 8 years ago today, that The leaking oil well in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill is sealed.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English naval explorer, led the third expedition to circumnavigate the globe, Thomas Cavendish, born on this date in 1560.
- French mathematician and astronomer, Jean Baptiste Joseph Delambre was born 269 years ago today.
- Orson Pratt, the American mathematician and religious leader was born 207 years ago today.
- American engineer, inventor, and businessperson, William Sellers was born 194 years ago today.
- Born September 19, 1865, American-German photographer Frank Eugene.
- James Waddell Alexander II, the American mathematician and topologist was born 130 years ago today.
- Ferdinand Porsche, Austrian engineer and businessman was born on that same date in 1909.
- English engineer, Derek Gardner was born 87 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1940, American singer-songwriter and actor, Paul Williams.
- Cass Elliot, American singer was born on that same date in 1941.
- Also turning 73 today is American actor Randolph Mantooth.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, English model, actress, and singer, Twiggy.
- American guitarist, songwriter, and producer, Nile Rodgers, born on this date in 1952.
- Also turning 58 today is French aerodynamicist and engineer Loïc Bigois.
- American captain, pilot, and astronaut, Sunita Williams, born on this date in 1965.
- Also turning 44 today is American comedian and talk show host Jimmy Fallon.
- 14 – Andrew Peters (Perl Hacker from the UK)
- 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- 20 – Joel Harper (Rincewind) / Milwaukee WI
- 20 – Joel Rickenbach [deceased] (host of the You’ve Got Geek Podcast)
- 21 – Dean Jensen (Beaker1)
- 22 – Matthew Tjarks (Jharks)
- 26 – Brett (from Wales)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 12, 2018
- Software developers are more important to companies that money
- NASA offering a million dollars to convert CO to to sugar
- Unmasking A.I.’s Bias Problem | Fortune
Hacks & Strange Stories
- MIT student builds robot that swims looking for leaks
- Hospital uses robot ducks to comfort kids with cancer
- Bootlegging Atari 2600 games circa the 1980s required dedicated hardware and about 10 minutes to copy a 4KB game cartridge. : geek
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week
- If you could change your name to a fictional characters name, what would you choose?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five