Coming up in this episode…
- 99 Robots
- Forbidden Sandwich
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for August 29, 2018
This is the 241st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 124 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 708, that Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708).
- On August 29, 1831, Michael Faraday discovered electromagnetic induction.
- It was also this date in 1885 that Gottlieb Daimler patents the world’s first internal combustion motorcycle, the Reitwagen.
- On August 29, 1898, The Goodyear tire company is founded.
- That same date in 1949, Soviet atomic bomb project: The Soviet Union tests its first atomic bomb, known as First Lightning or Joe 1, at Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan.
- It was on this date in 1965, that The Gemini V spacecraft returns to Earth, landing in the Atlantic Ocean.
- That same date in 1982, The synthetic chemical element Meitnerium, atomic number 109, is first synthesized at the Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt, Germany.
- It was 21 years ago today, that Netflix is launched as an internet DVD rental service.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English physician and philosopher, John Locke, born on this date in 1632.
- Polish mathematician and astronomer, Jan Śniadecki was born 262 years ago today.
- Born August 29, 1876, American engineer and businessman, founded Delco Electronics Charles F. Kettering.
- Otis Boykin, American inventor and engineer was born on that same date in 1920.
- Richard Attenborough, the English actor, director, and producer was born 95 years ago today.
- American captain and politician, John McCain is 82 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1938, American actor and producer, Elliott Gould.
- James Brady, the American politician and activist, 15th White House Press Secretary was born 78 years ago today.
- English journalist and television host, Robin Leach was born 77 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1943, Canadian astrophysicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Arthur B. McDonald.
- Michael Jackson, the American singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, and actor was born 60 years ago today.
- Also turning 59 today is Canadian colonel, pilot, and astronaut Chris Hadfield.
- 30 – Maximilian Björsten, Stockholm Sweden
- 31 – Tim Downing
- 01 – David Kloempken
- 02 – Scott Tyler
- 05 – Ben Vaughan (benvon) 
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 29, 2018
- We’ve Got the Meat: Scientists Unearth Final Ingredient to the Forbidden Sandwich
- Batman Got Pulled Over By The Cops Even Though He Didn’t Break The Law | Bored Panda
Hacks & Strange Stories
- The Swiss Man Who Built a UFO Landing Port in Argentina Because Aliens Told Him to
- Study of Canada’s Aurora-Like STEVE Lights Finds No Explanation
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Your name here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- Which Fictional Robot would you want to be real?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five