Coming up in this episode…
- Mars Rover
- Ascii Tatoos
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for August 22, 2018
This is the 234th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 131 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1770, that James Cook names and lands on Possession Island, and claims the east coast of Australia for Britain as New South Wales.
- It was also this date in 1780 that James Cook’s ship HMS Resolution returns to England (Cook having been killed on Hawaii during the voyage).
- August 22, 1849, The first air raid in history. Austria launches pilotless balloons against the city of Venice.
- The first America’s Cup is won by the yacht America on this date in 1851.
- On August 22, 1864, Twelve nations sign the First Geneva Convention.
- Also today in 1902, Cadillac Motor Company is founded.
- It was on this date in 1902, that Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to make a public appearance in an automobile.
- It was 55 years ago today, that X-15 Flight 91 reaches the highest altitude of the X-15 program (107.96 km (67.08 mi) (354,200 feet)).
- Also today in 2006, Grigori Perelman is awarded the Fields Medal for his proof of the Poincaré conjecture in mathematics but refuses to accept the medal.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French physicist and mathematician, developed pressure cooking, Denis Papin, born on this date in 1647.
- English engineer, Henry Maudslay was born 247 years ago today.
- James Hillier, the Canadian-American scientist, co-designed the electron microscope was born 103 years ago today.
- Ray Bradbury, American science fiction writer and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1920.
- Born August 22, 1929, Russian anthropologist and author Valery Alekseyev.
- Also turning 86 today is American engineer, colonel, and astronaut Gerald P. Carr.
- American general and engineer, Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. was born 84 years ago today.
- Also turning 82 today is German roller coaster designer and engineer, designed the maverick roller coaster Werner Stengel.
- English physicist and academic, Roger Cashmore, born on this date in 1944.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American actress and producer, Cindy Williams.
- English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Roland Orzabal is 57 today.
- American R&B/soul singer, James DeBarge, born on this date in 1963.
- 22 – Zoidberg 
- 22 – Kyle Slingo
- 22 – AlchemyDragon
- 24 – Kira Fiore (Krazy Joe & Christine’s daughter)
- 25 – David “Grizzly” Smith from Grizzly’s Growls podcasts
- 27 – Chuck’s forgotten iPod
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 22, 2018
- Two Months Later: NASA’s Opportunity Rover Is Still Lost On Mars After Huge Dust Storm – Slashdot
- Happy 25th Birthday, Debian Linux!
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- World’s Oldest Cheese, Found in Ancient Tomb, Was Also Very Dangerous
- The 1950s Guide to Proper Telephone Etiquette
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week
- What is an important lesson a job taught you?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five