Coming up in this episode…
- Sand Printers
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- If you could change your name to a number, what number would you choose?
- Madmarv’s number is: 8008
On This Day In History for July 11, 2018
This is the 192nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 173 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1405, that Ming admiral Zheng He sets sail to explore the world for the first time.
- Also today in 1576, Martin Frobisher sights Greenland.
- Also on July 11, 1735, Mathematical calculations suggest that it is on this day that dwarf planet Pluto moved inside the orbit of Neptune for the last time before 1979.
- It was on this date in 1796, that The United States takes possession of Detroit from Great Britain under terms of the Jay Treaty.
- That same date in 1801, French astronomer Jean-Louis Pons makes his first comet discovery. In the next 27 years he discovers another 36 comets, more than any other person in history.
- July 11, 1848, Waterloo railway station in London opens.
- 129 years ago today, Tijuana, Mexico, is founded.
- July 11, 1893, The first cultured pearl is obtained by Kokichi Mikimoto.
- Brothers Auguste and Louis Lumière demonstrate movie film technology to scientists on this date in 1895.
- 121 years ago today, Salomon August Andrée leaves Spitsbergen to attempt to reach the North Pole by balloon. He later crashes and dies.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is first published, in the United States on this date in 1960.
- Also on July 11, 1962, Project Apollo: At a press conference, NASA announces lunar orbit rendezvous as the means to land astronauts on the Moon, and return them to Earth.
- It was also this date in 1962 that First transatlantic satellite television transmission.
- On July 11, 1972, The first game of the World Chess Championship 1972 between challenger Bobby Fischer and defending champion Boris Spassky starts.
- 41 years ago today, Martin Luther King, Jr. is posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- Also today in 1979, America’s first space station, Skylab, is destroyed as it re-enters the Earth’s atmosphere over the Indian Ocean.
- PTV is introduced as a kids programming block for PBS to broadcast educational programming to underprivileged children on this date in 1994.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swedish chemist and mineralogist, Johan Gottschalk Wallerius, born on this date in 1709.
- American astronomer and author, Isabel Martin Lewis was born 137 years ago today.
- Alexander Prokhorov, the Australian-Russian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 102 years ago today.
- Venetia Burney, English educator, who named Pluto was born on that same date in 1918.
- Brazilian physicist and academic, César Lattes was born 94 years ago today.
- American-Canadian physicist and engineer, Theodore Maiman, born on this date in 1927.
- Italian physicist and academic, Tullio Regge was born 87 years ago today.
- Also turning 84 today is Italian fashion designer, founded the Armani Company Giorgio Armani.
- Pakistani physicist and academic, Pervez Hoodbhoy is 68 today.
- 11 – Steven Truax (rednecktech)
- 12 – Shadowbird712 of Shadowbird Studios (http://shadowbirdsrandomcrap.blogspot.com/) (Sorry for the cheap plug, y’all)
- 12 – François Pominville nickname: Bookaroo (Year: 11110110001, Canada)
- 13 – Ben Ragunton of TGGeeks
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 11, 2018
- Oh No!: The Other Half Of That Bourbon Warehouse Also Collapsed – Geekologie
- Exoskeleton that allows humans to work and play for longer – BBC News
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Our Skies Are More Watched Than Ever, So Why Are Reported UFO Sightings on the Decline?
- Drawing Lines In The Sand: Taking Beach Graffiti To The Next Level | Hackaday
- CEO Of Drone Company Uses Custom Drone To Toilet Paper The COO’s House – Geekologie
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Parity Episode Topic – Do you know what’s on your network?
Question of the week:
- If you could invent a breakfast cereal, what would it be and what would you call it.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five