Coming up in this episode…
- Stephen Hawking
- William Shatner
- Needle Man!
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for June 20, 2018
This is the 171st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 194 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1248, that The University of Oxford receives its Royal charter.
- It was also this date in 1787 that Oliver Ellsworth moves at the Federal Convention to call the government the ‘United States’.
- Also today in 1819, The U.S. vessel SS Savannah arrives at Liverpool, United Kingdom. It is the first steam-propelled vessel to cross the Atlantic, although most of the journey is made under sail.
- June 20, 1837, Queen Victoria succeeds to the British throne.
- Also on June 20, 1840, Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph.
- It was on this date in 1877, that Alexander Graham Bell installs the world’s first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- June 20, 1893, Lizzie Borden is acquitted of the murders of her father and stepmother.
- Baron Eduard Toll, leader of the Russian Polar Expedition of 1900, departs Saint Petersburg in Russia on the explorer ship Zarya, never to return on this date in 1900.
- It was also this date in 1944 that The experimental MW 18014 V-2 rocket reaches an altitude of 176 km, becoming the first man-made object to reach outer space.
- June 20, 1945, The United States Secretary of State approves the transfer of Wernher von Braun and his team of Nazi rocket scientists to the U.S. under Operation Paperclip.
- It was 55 years ago today, that Following the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Soviet Union and the United States sign an agreement to establish the so-called “red telephone” link between Washington and Moscow.
- June 20, 1975, The film Jaws is released in the United States, becoming the highest-grossing film of that time and starting the trend of films known as “summer blockbusters”.
- It was on this date in 1990, that Asteroid Eureka is discovered.
- The Wikimedia Foundation is founded in St. Petersburg, Florida on this date in 2003.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American astronomer and author, Mary R. Calvert, born on this date in 1884.
- Born June 20, 1889, Greek-South African astronomer and academic John S. Paraskevopoulos.
- Lloyd Hall, the American chemist and academic was born 124 years ago today.
- Errol Flynn, Australian-American actor was born on that same date in 1909.
- Also turning 104 today is Turkish archaeologist and academic Muazzez İlmiye Çığ.
- American actor and producer, Martin Landau was born 90 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1931, American actress, Olympia Dukakis.
- Also turning 76 today is American singer-songwriter and producer Brian Wilson.
- Canadian singer and guitarist, Anne Murray is 73 today.
- American singer-songwriter, pianist, producer, and actor, Lionel Richie, born on this date in 1949.
- Also turning 67 today is American actress and voice artist Tress MacNeille.
- American actor, John Goodman, born on this date in 1952.
- Also born on that same date in 1960, English singer-songwriter, bass player, and actor, John Taylor.
- Also turning 51 today is American-Australian actress Nicole Kidman.
- Russian mathematician and academic, Misha Verbitsky, born on this date in 1969.
- 21 – Ascii Adam from the Hook Show
- 22 – Lance Heath
- 22 – Jack Stevens
- 22 – Chris Martinez (Scotland)
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 – Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, Pa
- 26 – Patrick Norton
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 20, 2018
- Stephen Hawking’s Voice Beamed Into Space as His Ashes Are Interred – Slashdot
- Quantum entanglement on demand could lead to a super-secure internet
- Opportunity rover stops responding during Mars dust storm
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Hacks and Strange Stories
- William Shatner Boldly Goes Into Promoting Cryptocurrency Mining
- Meteorologist Solves Rubik’s Cube While Giving Weather Report
Question of the week:
- What fictional place would you most like to visit?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five