Coming up in this episode…
- Mini Brains
- Google Duplex
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for May 16, 2018
This is the 136th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 229 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1568, that Mary, Queen of Scots, flees to England.
- May 16, 1770, A 14 -year-old Marie Antoinette marries 15-year-old Louis-Auguste who later becomes king of France.
- It was 175 years ago today, that The first major wagon train heading for the Pacific Northwest sets out on the Oregon Trail with one thousand pioneers from Elm Grove, Missouri.
- Also on May 16, 1866, The United States Congress establishes the nickel.
- Also today in 1888, Nikola Tesla delivers a lecture describing the equipment which will allow efficient generation and use of alternating currents to transmit electric power over long distances.
- May 16, 1891, The International Electrotechnical Exhibition opens in Frankfurt, Germany, and will feature the world’s first long distance transmission of high-power, three-phase electric current (the most common form today).
- That same date in 1919, A naval Curtiss NC-4 aircraft commanded by Albert Cushing Read leaves Trepassey, Newfoundland, for Lisbon via the Azores on the first transatlantic flight.
- It was also this date in 1929 that In Hollywood, the first Academy Awards ceremony takes place.
- That same date in 1951, The first regularly scheduled transatlantic flights begin between Idlewild Airport (now John F Kennedy International Airport) in New York City and Heathrow Airport in London, operated by El Al Israel Airlines.
- May 16, 1960, Theodore Maiman operates the first optical laser (a ruby laser), at Hughes Research Laboratories in Malibu, California.
- That same date in 1969, Venera program: Venera 5, a Soviet space probe, lands on Venus.
- 30 years ago today, A report by the Surgeon General of the United States C. Everett Koop states that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
- It was 27 years ago today, that Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom addresses a joint session of the United States Congress. She is the first British monarch to address the U.S. Congress.
- On May 16, 2011, STS-134 (ISS assembly flight ULF6), launched from the Kennedy Space Center on the 25th and final flight for Space Shuttle Endeavour.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian mathematician and philosopher, Maria Gaetana Agnesi, born on this date in 1718.
- Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, American educator who founded the first U.S. kindergarten was born on that same date in 1804.
- Born May 16, 1821, Russian mathematician and statistician Pafnuty Chebyshev.
- Welsh-American physicist, co-invented the microphone, David Edward Hughes was born 187 years ago today.
- Henry Fonda, the American actor was born 113 years ago today.
- American pianist and entertainer, Liberace, born on this date in 1919.
- Also turning 93 today is American astronomer Nancy Roman.
- Also born on that same date in 1938, American computer scientist and academic, Ivan Sutherland.
- Canadian physician and astronaut, Dafydd Williams, born on this date in 1954.
- Also born on that same date in 1966, American singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, and actress, Janet Jackson.
- American actress, reality television personality, and author, Tori Spelling, born on this date in 1973.
- 22 – Tim Elliott
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 16, 2018
- Scientists to grow ‘mini-brains’ using Neanderthal DNA | Science | The Guardian
- Humanoid robot runs through the park by itself – CNN Video
- Mysterious ‘exiled’ asteroid found in far reaches of solar system | The Independent
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Megapodtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- How many friends have you met IRL that were online only?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five