Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Would you take the blue pill or the red pill and why?
- VM from JMJ
On This Day In History for February 14, 2018
This is the 45th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 320 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1076, that Pope Gregory VII excommunicates Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor.
- It was also this date in 1530 that Spanish conquistadores, led by Nuño de Guzmán, overthrow and execute Tangaxuan II, the last independent monarch of the Tarascan state in present-day central Mexico.
- Also today in 1778, The United States flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time, when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte renders a nine gun salute to USS Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones.
- February 14, 1779, James Cook is killed by Native Hawaiians near Kealakekua on the Island of Hawaii.
- Also on February 14, 1835, The original Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in the Latter Day Saint movement, is formed in Kirtland, Ohio.
- Also today in 1849, In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first serving President of the United States to have his photograph taken.
- It was on this date in 1876, that Alexander Graham Bell applies for a patent for the telephone, as does Elisha Gray.
- Also on February 14, 1899, Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.
- That same date in 1912, The U.S. Navy commissioned its first class of diesel-powered submarines.
- February 14, 1912, Arizona is admitted as the 48th and the last contiguous U.S. state.
- Also today in 1918, The Soviet Union adopts the Gregorian calendar (on 1 February according to the Julian calendar).
- Also on February 14, 1924, The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company changes its name to International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).
- On February 14, 1961, Discovery of the chemical elements: Element 103, Lawrencium, is first synthesized at the University of California.
- It was on this date in 1990, that The Voyager 1 spacecraft takes the photograph of planet Earth that later become famous as Pale Blue Dot.
- The spacecraft NEAR Shoemaker enters orbit around asteroid 433 Eros, the first spacecraft to orbit an asteroid on this date in 2000.
- It was 13 years ago today, that YouTube is launched by a group of college students, eventually becoming the largest video sharing website in the world and a main source for viral videos.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German priest and mathematician, Johannes Werner, born on this date in 1468.
- American journalist and politician, invented the typewriter, Christopher Latham Sholes was born 199 years ago today.
- French astronomer and academic, Benjamin Baillaud, born on this date in 1848.
- George Washington Gale Ferris Jr., American engineer, inventor of the Ferris wheel was born on that same date in 1859.
- Scottish physicist and meteorologist, Nobel Prize laureate, Charles Thomson Rees Wilson, born on this date in 1869.
- Born February 14, 1882, American actor John Barrymore.
- Katherine Stinson, the American aviator was born 127 years ago today.
- Jack Benny, American actor and producer was born on that same date in 1894.
- Born February 14, 1898, Swiss-American physicist and astronomer Fritz Zwicky.
- Jimmy Hoffa, American trade union leader was born on that same date in 1913.
- American mathematician and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Herbert A. Hauptman, born on this date in 1917.
- Also born on that same date in 1921, American journalist, game show host, and producer, Hugh Downs.
- American actress and singer, Florence Henderson, born on this date in 1934.
- Also born on that same date in 1940, American businessman, co-founded Golden Corral, James Maynard.
- American radio host and producer, Terry Gross is 67 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1957, American television host and actor, Alan Hunter.
- English actor, director, and producer, Simon Pegg is 48 today.
Listener Birthdays for February
- 14 – Douglas E. Welch of Career Opportunities Podcast
- 14 – Andrew from Illinois
- 15 – Philip from Australia
- 17 – Bob Trate of MegaPodzilla and Action Figure Junkies
- 18 – Hot John Miller of MegaPodzilla
- 18 – Ray Insalaco – Central Village, CT
- 19 – Scooter in Connecticut
- 19 – Steve in Sumter
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 14, 2018
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford||Leon|
|John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Saturday Morning Media|
|Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Things You Didn’t Know About Superman Returns | Screen Rant
- Amazon is developing a new ‘Conan the Barbarian’ series
- Blockbuster Movie Plot Generator
- Dust, meteorites, cosmic rays and everything else currently destroying the Tesla in space | Popular Science
- Firefly book series announced: Joss Whedon to serve as consulting editor | EW.com
- Chuck, Kreg, Clinton (comedy4cast) are going on Trek Cruise III next January!
- And guess what our cosplay is going to be?
Question of the week:
- You wake up in 1870. What job are you qualified to do?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five