Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Question of the Week: If you had no super powers, which superhero (or villain) would you pick a fight with?
- Scott Stephanie Long: The Tick
- Mike Robison: The Amazing Squirrel Girl
- Lone Guise Knight: Wonder Dog
- Myron Dupler: Zhadum. Nightwing
- John Miller Jr: Gleek
On This Day In History for January 31, 2018
This is the 31st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 334 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1606, that Guy Fawkes, as part of the Gunpowder Plot, is executed for plotting against Parliament and King James.
- Also today in 1747, the first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- 155 years ago today, Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5-inch (47cm) telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- Also on January 31, 1930, 3M begins marketing Scotch Tape.
- January 31, 1949, These Are My Children, the first television daytime soap opera is broadcast by the NBC station in Chicago.
- It was also this date in 1950 that United States President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the hydrogen bomb.
- Also today in 1958, the first successful American satellite detects the Van Allen radiation belt.
- Ham the Chimp travels into outer space aboard Mercury-Redstone on this date in 1961.
- It was 51 years ago today, that The Soviet Union launches the unmanned Luna 9 spacecraft as part of the Luna program.
- That same date in 1971, Astronauts Alan Shepard, Stuart Roosa, and Edgar Mitchell, aboard a Saturn V, liftoff for a mission to the Fra Mauro Highlands on the Moon aboard Apollo 14.
- It was on this date in 2010, that Avatar becomes the first film to gross over $2 billion worldwide.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Theodore William Richards, born on this date in 1868.
- American chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize laureate, Irving Langmuir was born 136 years ago today.
- Sofya Yanovskaya, the Russian mathematician and historian was born 121 years ago today.
- American actress, singer, and dancer, Carol Channing, born on this date in 1921.
- Born January 31, 1921, American tenor and actor Mario Lanza.
- Norman Mailer, the American journalist and author was born 94 years ago today.
- Also turning 89 today is American computer scientist and engineer Irma Wyman.
- Rudolf Mössbauer, German physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1929.
- American actor and producer, James Franciscus was born 83 years ago today.
- American actress, Suzanne Pleshette, born on this date in 1937.
- 24 – Cynthia Fry
- 25 – Kreg Steppe
- 26 – Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- 27 – Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Sarah P. from NJ… who was born in OK, moved to VA, married Brad P, moved to NJ, and is now back in VA
- 01 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 01 – Brandon Kirkwold – MN
- 02 – Gary Lindros – aka Gary from Jacksonville – Groundhog’s Day Rules!!!
- 02 – Chuck Provenzano aka podlurker aka Chuck’s evil twin
- 02 – Oreo Cookie Monster
- 03 – Euan Campbell McGregor – Scotland, UK
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 31, 2018
- We All Nearly Missed the Largest Underwater Volcano Eruption Ever Recorded – Slashdot
- You could soon be manufacturing your own drugs—thanks to 3D printing | Science | AAAS
- NASA Runs Successful First Tests of Compact Nuclear Reactor for Mars Base
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Internet Can’t Stop Laughing At These Cops Who Ticketed A Car Made Of Snow With This Note | Bored Panda
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka||Jorge Schrauwen|
|John Clifford||Gary Lindros|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- A bunch of 11-year-olds designed the cars of the future, and the results are utterly delightful – The Verge
Question of the week:
- What pop culture trend or fad from the past do you not want to see again?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five