Coming up in this episode…
- Twisted pair barb wire
- Cassette Tapes
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- If you were in the virtual world, what would your pop culture avatar be?
- Voice mail from Krazy Joe
- Tiffany Mangan: Danaerys Stormborn on her dragon
- John Miller Jr. – Optimus Prime
On This Day In History for January 10, 2018
This is the 10th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 355 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1776, that Thomas Paine published his pamphlet Common Sense.
- On January 10, 1812, the first steamboat on the Ohio River or the Mississippi River arrives in New Orleans, 82 days after departing from Pittsburgh.
- The Metropolitan Railway, the world’s oldest underground railway, opens between Paddington and Farringdon, marking the beginning of the London Underground on this date in 1863.
- January 10, 1870, John D. Rockefeller incorporates Standard Oil.
- 117 years ago today, the first great Texas oil gusher is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
- Also today in 1927, Fritz Lang’s futuristic film Metropolis is released in Germany.
- 56 years ago today, NASA announces plans to build the C-5 rocket launch vehicle, which became known as the Saturn V Moon rocket, which launched every Apollo Moon mission.
- Time Warner is formed by the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications on this date in 1990.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German astronomer, Simon Marius, born on this date in 1573.
- Lazzaro Spallanzani, the Italian priest, biologist, and physiologist was born 289 years ago today.
- English physician and academic, founded Birkbeck, University of London, George Birkbeck was born 242 years ago today.
- Born January 10, 1780, German physician and explorer Martin Lichtenstein.
- Carl Ritter von Ghega, Italian-Austrian engineer, designed the Semmering railway was born on that same date in 1802.
- Italian paleontologist, archaeologist, and ethnographer, Luigi Pigorini, born on this date in 1842.
- American architect, designed the Rookery Building and Monadnock Building, John Wellborn Root was born 168 years ago today.
- Issai Schur, German mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1875.
- Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy, the Russian journalist, author, and poet was born 135 years ago today.
- Born January 10, 1891, German mathematician and academic Heinrich Behmann.
- Katharine Burr Blodgett, the American physicist and engineer was born 120 years ago today.
- American engineer and inventor, Gordon Kidd Teal was born 111 years ago today.
- Sune Bergström, Swedish biochemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1916.
- American businessman, Roy E. Disney was born 88 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1938, American computer scientist and mathematician, Donald Knuth.
- American singer-songwriter and musician, Donald Fagen is 70 today.
- Also turning 65 today is American singer-songwriter Pat Benatar.
- Also born on that same date in 1962, American computer scientist and academic, Kathryn S. McKinley.
- 03 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
- 06 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
- 08 – Elvis!
- 09 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
- 14 – Glynne Tolar
- 15 – Ralph Whitfield (aka GoofyRalph)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 10, 2018
- Researchers Create ‘Psychedelic’ Stickers That Confuse AI Image Recognition – Slashdot
- Guardians of the Galaxy Is Leading The Unlikely Cassette Tape Revival
- The Search for Aliens Starts Now—in Antarctica
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka||Jorge Schrauwen|
|John Clifford *NEW*|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- This Creator Re-Shot The Last Jedi’s Throne Room Scene in Fabulous Lego Stop-Motion
- Paper Scraps Recovered From Blackbeard’s Cannon Reveal What Pirates Were Reading
- What did you get for Christmas?
Question of the week:
- What TV show has the best theme song?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five