Coming up in this episode…
- Elon Musk
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for December 20, 2017
This is the 354th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 11 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1606, that The Virginia Company loads three ships with settlers and sets sail to establish Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English settlement in the Americas.
- It was 214 years ago today, that The Louisiana Purchase is completed at a ceremony in New Orleans.
- Adolf Hitler is released from Landsberg Prison on this date in 1924.
- Also today in 1946, The popular Christmas film It’s a Wonderful Life is first released in New York City.
- Also on December 20, 1951, The EBR-1 in Arco, Idaho becomes the first nuclear power plant to generate electricity. The electricity powered four light bulbs.
- That same date in 1957, The initial production version of the Boeing 707 makes its first flight.
- A Pennsylvania Railroad Budd Metroliner exceeds 155 mph on their New York Division, also present day Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor on this date in 1967.
- It was also this date in 1971 that The international aid organization Doctors Without Borders is founded by Bernard Kouchner and a group of journalists in Paris, France.
- China successfully launches the Bolivian Túpac Katari 1 from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center on this date in 2013.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and cartographer, Oronce Finé, born on this date in 1494.
- Czech chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Jaroslav Heyrovský was born 127 years ago today.
- Born December 20, 1901, American physicist and academic, invented the Van de Graaff generator Robert J. Van de Graaff.
- American actor, John Hillerman, born on this date in 1932.
- Also born on that same date in 1945, American singer-songwriter, drummer, and producer, Peter Criss.
- English keyboard player and producer, Alan Parsons, born on this date in 1948.
- English mathematician and academic, Geoffrey Grimmett is 67 today.
- Also turning 41 today is Welsh game designer and businessman, co-founded Meteor Games Adam Powell.
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 20, 2017
- RIP, AOL Instant Messenger
- Robots Are Being Used To Shoo Away Homeless People In San Francisco – Slashdot
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka||Jorge Schrauwen|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Kreg: Saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi!
Question of the week:
- Now that Disney owns Fox, what did Fox shun that you wish Disney would pick up and run with?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five