Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Postcard from Jorge
- QoTW: What is the most useless piece of knowledge you are proud to carry around?
- John Miller Jr – How the mail argonaut octopus mates with the femail. Google it. You won’t be able to unlearn what you learn.
On This Day In History for November 1, 2017
This is the 305th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 60 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1512, that The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, painted by Michelangelo, is exhibited to the public for the first time.
- November 1, 1520, The Strait of Magellan, the passage immediately south of mainland South America connecting the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans, is first discovered and navigated by European explorer Ferdinand Magellan during the first recorded circumnavigation voyage.
- In Boston, Massachusetts, the first medical school for women, Boston Female Medical School (which later merged with the Boston University School of Medicine), opens on this date in 1848.
- That same date in 1870, In the United States, the Weather Bureau (later renamed the National Weather Service) makes its first official meteorological forecast.
- Also on November 1, 1894, Thomas Edison films American sharpshooter Annie Oakley, which is instrumental in her hiring by Buffalo Bill for his Wild West Show.
- It was on this date in 1896, that A picture showing the bare breasts of a woman appears in National Geographic magazine for the first time.
- November 1, 1941, American photographer Ansel Adams takes a picture of a moonrise over the town of Hernandez, New Mexico that would become one of the most famous images in the history of photography.
- It was on this date in 1952, that The United States successfully detonates Ivy Mike, the first thermonuclear device, at the Eniwetok atoll. The explosion had a yield of ten megatons TNT equivalent.
- 60 years ago today, The Mackinac Bridge, the world’s longest suspension bridge between anchorages at the time, opens to traffic connecting Michigan’s upper and lower peninsulas.
- Also on November 1, 1963, The Arecibo Observatory in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, with the largest radio telescope ever constructed, officially opens.
- It was on this date in 1968, that The Motion Picture Association of America’s film rating system is officially introduced, originating with the ratings G, M, R, and X.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German meteorologist and geophysicist, Alfred Wegener, born on this date in 1880.
- American publisher, founded Larry Flynt Publications, Larry Flynt is 75 today.
- Marcia Wallace, American actress and comedian was born on that same date in 1942.
- Also turning 68 today is American physicist and engineer Michael D. Griffin.
- American computer programmer and businessman, founded Lotus Software and Electronic Frontier Foundation, Mitch Kapor is 67 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1950, American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Robert B. Laughlin.
- American businessman and engineer, current CEO of Apple Inc, Tim Cook is 57 today.
- 01 – Amber Elstad
- 02 – Mark McCoy
- 03 – Ken Pace
- 03 – Craig Glassner (aka Ranger Craig)
- 04 – Avner (OMG, its 2014 – I’m 40 already)
- 05 – Michael Corlett (from New Zealand)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 1, 2017
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Federal Agencies Ordered to Adopt Basic Email Security Measures After Years of Doing Nothing
- Amazon Key opens your home for indoor deliveries
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avener Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka||Jorge Schwauren|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
We Talk about PIY
Question of the week
- What is the most everyday object you’ve seen someone hilariously fail trying to use?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five