Coming up in this episode…
- Both Together!
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- From Mad Marv: I think I heard you ask about anime recommendations in the latest Patreon episode. I think you should see Macross Plus. If you are familiar with the Robotech cartoon from the 80’s all you need to know is that this is takes place in that world in a future time. If you never saw Robotech, it’s one of the original giant robot cartoons that molded Japanese sci-fi the way Star Wars and Star Trek molded American sci-fi.
The animation in this mini-series was one of the earliest to use computers. I don’t think you can call it CGI because Macross Plus was released in 1994 and therefore computers were probably running Windows 3.0.
You can stream the series on Amazon for about $6, I haven’t really seen it offered anywhere else.
On This Day In History for October 4, 2017
This is the 277th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 88 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1535, that the first complete English-language Bible (the Coverdale Bible) is printed, with translations by William Tyndale and Myles Coverdale.
- Napoleon Bonaparte first rises to national prominence by suppressing armed counter-revolutionary rioters threatening the National Convention on this date in 1795.
- On October 4, 1830, The Provisional Government of Belgium secedes from the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- Texas A&M University opens as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, becoming the first public institution of higher education in Texas on this date in 1876.
- It was 134 years ago today, that First run of the Orient Express.
- On October 4, 1927, Gutzon Borglum begins sculpting Mount Rushmore.
- October 4, 1957, Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.
- Richard Noble sets a new land speed record of 633.468 miles per hour (1,019.468 km/h), driving Thrust2 at the Black Rock Desert in Nevada on this date in 1983.
- It was on this date in 1985, that The Free Software Foundation is founded in Massachusetts, United States.
- Also on October 4, 2004, SpaceShipOne wins Ansari X Prize for private spaceflight, by being the first private craft to fly into space.
- October 4, 2006, Wikileaks is launched by Julian Assange.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Danish astronomer and author, Christen Sørensen Longomontanus, born on this date in 1562.
- Florence Eliza Allen, the American mathematician and suffrage activist was born 141 years ago today.
- Born October 4, 1895, American film actor, director, and producer Buster Keaton.
- English reporter, who secretly posed as a man to become a soldier during World War I (died 1964), Dorothy Lawrence, born on this date in 1896.
- John Vincent Atanasoff, the American physicist and academic, invented the Atanasoff-Berry computer was born 114 years ago today.
- Born October 4, 1916, American comedian, actor, and game show host Jan Murray.
- Russian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Vitaly Ginzburg was born 101 years ago today.
- Kenichi Fukui, the Japanese chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 99 years ago today.
- American actor, director and gun rights activist, Charlton Heston, born on this date in 1923.
Listener birthdays this week in October
- 06 – John Deurholt (Jo Dho)
- 09 – Itsuko Rumpke (sounds like IT – SUE – KOE)
- 09 – Mario (New Jersey)
- 10 – Victor Cajiao
- 10 – Garrett Riffal
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 4, 2017
- Elon Musk Proposes City-to-City Travel By Rocket, Right Here on Earth – Slashdot
- Tesla’s new self-driving car can only make you money on the ride-sharing ‘Tesla Network’, not Uber or Lyft | Electrek
- You Only Have Six Days Left to Make That Sick, Viral Statue of Liberty Drone Video
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avener Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Watch the Blade Runner anime from Cowboy Bebop director Shinichiro Watanabe – The Verge
- Sci-fi is a big part of Amazon’s upcoming TV slate
- Futurama 3d (test shot) on Vimeo
- QVC host and guest debate whether Earth’s moon is a planet or a star / Boing Boing
Question of the week
- What’s the most useless piece of knowledge that you are proud to carry around?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five