Coming up in this episode…
- Creepy Teddy
- Crash landing
- With no preservatives
Listen below with the audio player or Continue Reading for complete show notes and video from the show.
- What show is widely popular that you cannot stand?
On This Day In History for August 16, 2017
This is the 228th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 137 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1858, that U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.
- 101 years ago today, The Migratory Bird Treaty between Canada and the United States signed.
- On August 16, 1927, The Dole Air Race begins from Oakland, California, to Honolulu, Hawaii, during which six out of the eight participating planes crash or disappear.
- It was also this date in 1930 that The first color sound cartoon, called Fiddlesticks, is made by Ub Iwerks.
- Also today in 1944, First flight of the Junkers Ju 287.
- That same date in 1954, The first issue of Sports Illustrated is published.
- It was on this date in 1960, that Joseph Kittinger parachutes from a balloon over New Mexico at 102,800 feet (31,300 m), setting three records that held until 2012: High-altitude jump, free fall, and highest speed by a human without an aircraft.
- Also on August 16, 1962, Pete Best is discharged from the Beatles, to be replaced two days later by Ringo Starr.
- It was 28 years ago today, that a solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto’s stock market.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian cartographer, Vincenzo Coronelli, born on this date in 1650.
- Born August 16, 1744, French astronomer Pierre Méchain.
- Arthur Cayley, English mathematician was born on that same date in 1821.
- French physicist, Gabriel Lippmann, born on this date in 1845.
- T. E. Lawrence, British archaeologist, military officer, and diplomat was born on that same date in 1888.
- American biochemist, Wendell Meredith Stanley was born 113 years ago today.
- Eydie Gormé, the American pop singer, chanteuse, comic actress was born 89 years ago today.
- actor, scriptwriter, Robert Culp, born on this date in 1930.
- Stuart Roosa, the American astronaut was born 84 years ago today.
- American actress, Julie Newmar is 84 today.
- Also turning 64 today is American actress and talk show host Kathie Lee Gifford.
- Also born on that same date in 1958, American singer, songwriter, and actress, Madonna (entertainer).
- Also turning 55 today is American actor Steve Carell.
Listener Birthdays (through DragonCon)
- 17 – Clive Jevons, Baeumenheim German
- Kevin (SusietheGeek’s son and Geek in Training)
- 19 – Brian Litecky (blitecky)
- 19 – Matt Rider (The Eagle Scout Geek )
- 20 – Jedi_Kez (aka Brian From Winnipeg)
- 22 – Zoidberg 
- 22 – Kyle Slingo
- 22 – AlchemyDragon
- 24 – Kira Fiore (Krazy Joe & Christine’s daughter)
- 25 – David “Grizzly” Smith from Grizzly’s Growls podcasts
- 27 – Chuck’s forgotten iPod
- 30 – Maximilian Björsten, Stockholm Sweden
- 31 – Tim Downing
- 01 – David Kloempken
- 02 – Scott Tyler
- 05 – Ben Vaughan (benvon) 
- 06 – Susan Murph (SusietheGeek) How to Grow Your Geek Podcast
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 16, 2017
- Julie was quoted in Air & Space Magazine
- Cassini’s Final Dives Will Take Us Where No Spacecraft Has Gone Before
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Glowing Eyes Don’t Save the New Teddy Ruxpin From Being a Boring Clone of the ’80s Hit
- Someone Just Paid $15,000 for Rick and Morty’s Szechuan Sauce
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avener Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka||Dennis Patnaude|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Ben and Keith’s first SDCC
- Kreg Saw MST3K Live
Question of the week:
- If you could send a note to your younger self, what would you send?
- What made you realise that you’re not a kid anymore?
DragonCon Live with – Technorama and Comedy4cast
Podcast It Yourself (PIY)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five