Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for July 19, 2017
This is the 200th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 165 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1817, that Unsuccessful in his attempt to conquer the Kingdom of Hawaii for the Russian-American Company, Georg Anton Schäffer is forced to admit defeat and leave Kauai..
- Also on July 19, 1843, Brunel’s steamship the SS Great Britain is launched, becoming the first ocean-going craft with an iron hull and screw propeller, becoming the largest vessel afloat in the world.
- July 19, 1900, The first line of the Paris Métro opens for operation..
- Also today in 1963, Joe Walker flies a North American X-15 to a record altitude of 106,010 meters (347,800 feet) on X-15 Flight 90. Exceeding an altitude of 100 km, this flight qualifies as a human spaceflight under international convention.
- It was 34 years ago today, that The first three-dimensional reconstruction of a human head in a CT is published..
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian monk, missionary and painter, Giuseppe Castiglione (Jesuit painter), born on this date in 1688.
- Samuel Colt, American inventor and industrialist was born on that same date in 1814.
- Born July 19, 1865, American physician Charles Horace Mayo.
- Max Fleischer, the Animator, inventor. film director was born 134 years ago today.
- Russian mathematician, Aleksandr Khinchin was born 123 years ago today.
- Richard Oriani, the American chemical engineer was born 97 years ago today.
- Harold Camping, American doomsday prophet was born on that same date in 1921.
- American director, producer and writer, Arthur Rankin Jr., born on this date in 1924.
- Also turning 70 today is English musician and astrophysicist Brian May.
- father of IMAP protocol, Mark Crispin was born 61 years ago today.
- actor, Anthony Edwards, born on this date in 1962.
- Also turning 47 today is American mathematician Bill Chen.
- English actor and film producer, Benedict Cumberbatch, born on this date in 1976.
- Also turning 35 today is American actor Jared Padalecki.
- 23 – Dave Perillo, (former) MegaPodzilla and Montygog’s Art-O-Rama!
- 25 – Matt Wallace
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 19, 2017
- First images of Jupiter’s Great Red Spot reach Earth – Spaceflight Now
- Doctor Who’s 13th Time Lord Announced: Actress Jodie Whittaker – Slashdot
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Scrap Dealer Finds Apollo-Era NASA Computers In Dead Engineer’s Basement – Slashdot
- 22,000 People Agree to Clean Toilets for WiFi Because They Didn’t Read the Terms
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
|John Noble||Kay Bohmont|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Scientists Say Tardigrades Will Be the Last Animals On Earth
- This ‘Alien’ Punch Fountain is the Coolest Party Accessory Ever – Bloody Disgusting
Question of the week:
- Which fictional character (any) do you identify with and why?
Reminder .. Dog Days of Podcasting is coming up! Aug 1!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five