Coming up in this episode…
- Keeping the old OSes alive
- What’s the deal with Red Shirts, really?
- The Things you can learn from YouTube
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Mad Marv:
- Hi guys, I was listening to the show in front of my computer for a change. Regarding Tarzan and the Mowgli girl story, I read the original story. It wasn’t realistic but is worth reading and the story holds up well for a hundred year old book. In the story he learns to speak French but read English. I don’t think that’s really possible, but it’s funny.
- Voicemail: Gary from Jacksonville – Interview with Grant
On This Day In History for April 19, 2017
This is the 109th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 256 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1770, that Captain James Cook, still holding the rank of lieutenant, sights the eastern coast of what is now Australia.
- Also today in 1770, Marie Antoinette marries Louis XVI of France in a proxy wedding.
- The war begins with an American victory in Concord during the battles of Lexington and Concord. on this date in 1775.
- On April 19, 1892, Charles Duryea claims to have driven the first automobile in the United States, in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- 90 years ago today, Mae West is sentenced to ten days in jail for obscenity for her play Sex.
- It was 46 years ago today, that Launch of Salyut 1, the first space station.
- Also on April 19, 1971, Charles Manson is sentenced to death (later commuted to life imprisonment) for conspiracy in the Tate–LaBianca murders.
- The Simpsons first appear as a series of shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show, first starting with Good Night. on this date in 1987.
- 24 years ago today, the 51-day FBI siege of the Branch Davidian building outside Waco, Texas, USA, ends when a fire breaks out. Eighty-one people die..
- The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, USA, is bombed, killing 168. on this date in 1995.
- On April 19, 2013, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev is killed in a shootout with police. His brother Dzhokhar is later captured hiding in a boat inside a backyard in the suburb of Watertown.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German musician, grandfather of J. S. Bach, Christoph Bach (musician), born on this date in 1613.
- Ole Evinrude, the American inventor was born 140 years ago today.
- Austrian physicist and mathematician, Richard von Mises, born on this date in 1883.
- American scientist, Glenn T. Seaborg was born 105 years ago today.
- Jayne Mansfield, the American actress, singer, model was born 84 years ago today.
- English actor, comedian, composer and musician, Dudley Moore was born 82 years ago today.
- American astrophysicist astronomer, Kim Weaver, born on this date in 1964.
- Canadian astronomer, Brett J. Gladman is 51 today.
- American actor, writer, producer, director, and teacher, James Franco, born on this date in 1978.
- Canadian actor, Hayden Christensen is 36 today.
- 19 – Amanda (SusietheGeek’s daughter & Geek in Training)
- 19 – Ken Kennedy
- 21 – Kim and Kreg’s Anniversary
- 23 – Runtime
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 19, 2017
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
|John Noble||Brad P from NJ|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- Do you climb one step at a time or two when climbing stairs?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five