Coming up in this episode…
- 60,000 microbes
- Bill Gates
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Voice mail: Mike from DesMoines
- Voice mail: Ranger Craig
- QoTW: What computer game is a classic to you?
- Andy Helsby: So many to choose from. I spent many hours with Hollywood Hijink from Infocom but didn’t get very far on my Amstrad CPC6128 that ran CP/M. Other classics would be Doom, Duke Nukem, Castle Wolfenstein but the first game I ever played was Snake on a Commodore Pet.
- Matt Baum: Power Pete. Also, Harry the Handsome Executive.
- Josiah Lanska: King’s Quest and Space Quest
- Jack Mangan: Scorched Earth
- Brad Miller: Why hasn’t anyone said Super Mario Brothers?
- Suzette Tomasi: Candy Crush Saga
- Scott Tyler: Space Invaders
- Michael Slabodnick – Space Quest 3
- Jack Jaffee – Leisure Suit Larry
- Derek McCarthy – Adventure, on the Atari 2600. Still play it occasionally on my Playstation 2, which has some great classic collections.
- Bob Pankratz – Everything referenced in Ready Player One
On This Day In History for March 1, 2017
This is the 60th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 305 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1565, that the city of Rio de Janeiro is founded.
- 325 years ago today, Sarah Good, Sarah Osborne and Tituba are brought before local magistrates in Salem Village, Massachusetts, beginning what would become known as the Salem witch trials.
- It was on this date in 1700, that Sweden introduces its own Swedish calendar, in an attempt to gradually merge into the Gregorian calendar, reverts to the Julian calendar on this date in 1712, and introduces the Gregorian calendar on this date in 1753.
- Also today in 1790, the first United States census is authorized.
- That same date in 1872, Yellowstone National Park is established as the world’s first national park.
- It was also this date in 1893 that electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri.
- It was 121 years ago today, that Henri Becquerel discovers radioactive decay.
- That same date in 1936, the Hoover Dam is completed.
- It was also this date in 1954 that the Castle Bravo, a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb, is detonated on Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in the worst radioactive contamination ever caused by the United States.
- It was 51 years ago today, that Venera 3 Soviet space probe crashes on Venus becoming the first spacecraft to land on another planet’s surface.
- 22 years ago today, Yahoo! is incorporated.
- Also on March 1, 1998, Titanic became the first film to gross over $1 billion worldwide.
- It was on this date in 2006, that English-language Wikipedia reaches its one millionth article, Jordanhill railway station.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German philosopher and lexicographer, Rudolph Goclenius, born on this date in 1547.
- Jean-Charles della Faille, Flemish priest and mathematician was born on that same date in 1597.
- E. M. Antoniadi, the Greek-French astronomer and academic was born 147 years ago today.
- Glenn Miller, American trombonist, composer, and bandleader was born on that same date in 1904.
- Born March 1, 1910, English chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Archer John Porter Martin.
- American soldier, pilot, and astronaut, Deke Slayton was born 93 years ago today.
- American actor, radio host and stuntman, Robert Conrad, born on this date in 1935.
- Also born on that same date in 1943, Russian-German astronomer and physicist, Rashid Sunyaev.
- English singer-songwriter, producer, and actor, Roger Daltrey, born on this date in 1944.
- Also turning 72 today is American actor and director Dirk Benedict.
- American actress, Catherine Bach, born on this date in 1954.
- Also born on that same date in 1954, American actor, director, and producer, Ron Howard.
- American actor and director, Jensen Ackles, born on this date in 1978.
- 23 – Zhadum
- 23 – Keith Hughes (a.k.a. EdGizmo)
- 25 – Norbert
- 25 – Sandi Sheppard (Mark’s lovely wife)
- 28 – The Geek formerly known as Wayne Something Something – Bethlehem PA
- 29 – Paul Dove a.k.a Eilmer From Malmesbury UK
- 07 – Ben Maddox a.k.a. CptRootbeer
- 07 – Caleb from Dancing With Elephants
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 1, 2017
- 60,000-year-old microbes found in Mexican mine: NASA scientist
- New Horizons scientists want to redefine what planets are
- Bill Gates wants a robot tax to compensate for job losses
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Modding a Porsche 911 to Play Doom Is Absurdly Dangerous
- Russian Programmer 3D-Prints His Very Own T-800 Terminator Robot | Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Go to http://www.chuckchat.com/technorama/webcam. Join us on the live chat!
- Hasbro’s 40th Anniversary Star Wars Figures Are an Amazing Throwback
- Treasure Trove of Internal Apple Memos Discovered in Thrift Store
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
|John Noble||Brad P from NJ|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
What the Chuck?!
- Jorge: If you ever need a new segment idea explain “American things to Europeans”
- What’s a class ring?
- How “blocks” work in cities
Question of the week:
- What is your favorite lyric out of a song? (Name the Song and Band)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five