Coming up in this episode…
- Suds in the Tub
- Mech Warrior is Happening!
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for January 11, 2017
This is the 11th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 354 days remaining in 2017.
- The first recorded lottery in England was on this date in 1569
- It was also this date in 1759 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- William Herschel discovers Titania and Oberon, two moons of Uranus on this date in 1787.
- That same date in 1908, Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- It was 95 years ago today, that saw the first use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient.
- Louis B. Mayer, head of film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), announces the creation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, at a banquet in Los Angeles, California on this date in 1927.
- January 11, 1935, Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 68 years ago today, the first “networked” television broadcasts took place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and midwest programming.
- It was 53 years ago today, that Dr. Luther Terry, M.D., then Surgeon General of the United States, publishes the landmark report Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the United States saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking national and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
- It was also this date in 1986 that The Gateway Bridge in Brisbane Queensland Australia is officially opened.
- January 11, 1996, STS-72 launches from the Kennedy Space Center marking the start of the 74th Space Shuttle mission and the 10th flight of Endeavour.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English engineer and architect, Samuel Bentham, born on this date in 1757.
- English physicist, Joseph Jackson Lister was born 231 years ago today.
- Born January 11, 1788, English chemist and academic William Thomas Brande.
- Ányos Jedlik, Hungarian physicist and engineer was born on that same date in 1800.
- American businessman and philanthropist, founded Western Union and Cornell University, Ezra Cornell, born on this date in 1807.
- Albert Victor Bäcklund, Swedish mathematician and physicist was born on that same date in 1845.
- Born January 11, 1872, American physicist and academic G. W. Pierce.
- Swiss chemist and discoverer of LSD, Albert Hofmann was born 111 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1925, American television producer, co-founded MTM Enterprises, Grant Tinker.
- Lev Dyomin, the Russian colonel, pilot, and astronaut was born 91 years ago today.
- American web developer and businessman, co-created WordPress, Matt Mullenweg is 33 today.
- 14 – Glynne Tolar
- 15 – Ralph Whitfield (aka Goofy Ralph)
- 17 – fuffy_frog (aka Kristina) from Canada
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 11, 2017
- Watch Korea’s mech take its first steps with a pilot on board
- Is this proof of life on Mars? Alien enthusiasts find ‘SPOON’ in NASA images of the Red Planet – Mirror Online
- NASA Is Actually Going to Visit That Insane Metallic World
Hacks & Strange Stories
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Go to http://www.chuckchat.com/technorama/webcam. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- 85-Year-Old Marathoner Is So Fast That Even Scientists Marvel – The New York Times
- What if? – Blog By Randall Munroe (XKCD)
Question of the week:
- What is your most valuable software app that you cannot live without?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five