Coming up in this episode…
- What’s in the sky?
- Be free lobster!
- Another song from the Floppotron 2.0
*Update…yes I know this is the Patreon show. See our feed for a repost of this regular show.
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Ben’s comments on the light bulb
Kreg was correct when he said that the location of the longest burning lightbulb was in a Firehouse, but the city was my hometown of Livermore, California!!!
Also, there have been periods where the light bulb was turned off because it had to be moved several times whenever a new firehouse was constructed (at least twice that I know of), but it also burns at a low level which also helps it to survive, and the filament inside the bulb was made of much sturdier stuff than what is used in bulbs today.
On This Day In History for July 20, 2016
This is the 202nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 164 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 1738 that Canadian explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes et de La Vérendrye reaches the western shore of Lake Michigan.
- Also today in 1807, Nicéphore Niépce is awarded a patent by Napoleon for the Pyréolophore, the world’s first internal combustion engine, after it successfully powered a boat upstream on the river Saône in France.
- The Ford Motor Company ships its first car 113 years ago today.
- It was 76 years ago today that California opens its first freeway, the Arroyo Seco Parkway.
- Also today in 1960, The Polaris missile is successfully launched from a submarine, the USS George Washington, for the first time.
- It was 48 years ago today that The first International Special Olympics Summer Games are held at Soldier Field in Chicago, with about 1,000 athletes with intellectual disabilities.
- 47 years ago today, Apollo 11’s crew successfully makes the first manned landing on the Moon in the Sea of Tranquility. Americans Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon (July 21 UTC).
- The American Viking 1 lander successfully lands on Mars on this date in 1976
- The Central Intelligence Agency releases documents under the Freedom of Information Act revealing it had engaged in mind-control experiments 39 years ago today.
- Also today in 1997, The fully restored USS Constitution (a.k.a. Old Ironsides) celebrates its 200th birthday by setting sail for the first time in 116 years
Happy birthday goes out on this date to
- Alexander the Great, born on this date in 365 BC
- Also born today in 1889, Scottish broadcaster and co-founder of the BBC, John Reith
- Danish-Swiss astronomer and academic, Julie Vinter Hansen, was born today in 1890
- Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to reach the summit of Mount Everest, would have been 97 today
- The co-founder of Little Caesars, Mike Ilitch, is 87 today.
- Singer-songwriter Kim Carnes is 71
- Carlos Santana is 69
- Salesman Billy Mays would have been 58 today
- and one of our favorite screenwriters and producers, Roberto Orci is 43
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 20, 2016
- Listener Birthdays for July 20-26
20 – Brewer Dave G from Milwaukee
20 – Adam Raimer
23 – Dave Perillo, MegaPodzillaand Montygog’s Art-O-Rama!
25 – Matt Wallace
26 – Aaron Heath (Adelaide, Australia)
26 – Adam Christianson
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- New dwarf planet discovered
- Chuck went to the telescope store and…oh boy!
- McDonald’s filtering it’s WiFi
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Go to http://www.chuckchat.com/technorama/webcam. The IRC channel is back!
Hacks & Strange Stories
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Floppotron 2.0 – Game of Thrones Theme
- Pictures of the newly restored Enterprise
- Video from the Opening Ceremony
- Chuck: Amazon Dash (initial opinions)
Question of the week:
- What upcoming movies are you most looking forward to?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428) 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five