Coming up in this episode…
- A look at the inside of the Enterprise
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Krazy Joe
Question of the Week: What space alien race would you want to be?
- John Miller Jr Kryptonian. Do you REALLY have to ask?
On This Day In History for July 6, 2016
This is the 188th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 178 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 1189 that Richard I “the Lionheart” accedes to the English throne.
- July 6, 1865, The first issue of The Nation magazine is published
- Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog 131 years ago today
- That same date in 1919, The British dirigible R34 lands in New York, completing the first crossing of the Atlantic Ocean by an airship
- The first Major League Baseball All-Star Game is played in Chicago’s Comiskey Park. The American League defeated the National League 4–2 on this date in 1933
- Anne Frank and her family go into hiding in the “Secret Annexe” above her father’s office in an Amsterdam warehouse 74 years ago today
- Jackie Robinson refuses to move to the back of a bus, leading to a court-martial on this date in 1944.
- It was 69 years ago today that The AK-47 goes into production in the Soviet Union
- 59 years ago today, John Lennon and Paul McCartney meet for the first time, as teenagers at Woolton Fete, three years before forming the Beatles.
- The Late Late Show, the world’s longest-running chat show by the same broadcaster, airs on RTE One for the first time on this date in 1962.
- It was 26 years ago today that Electronic Frontier Foundation is founded
- July 6, 2003, The 70-metre Yevpatoria Planetary Radar sends a METI message (Cosmic Call 2) to five stars: Hip 4872, HD 245409, 55 Cancri (HD 75732), HD 10307 and 47 Ursae Majoris (HD 95128). The messages will arrive to these stars in 2036, 2040, 2044, and 2049, respectively.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swiss anatomist and physiologist Albert von Kölliker born on this date in 1817.
- Also born that same date one year later, German chess player Adolf Anderssen.
- July 16, 1903 is the birthday of Swedish biochemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Hugo Theorell.
- The man who created Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, actor, singer, and producer, Merv Griffin was born today in 1925.
- Bill Haley, yes – the one from Bill Haley & His Comets – shares the same exact birthday as Merv Griffin
- Actor Ned Beatty is 79 this year
- …and finally, guess how old Sylvester Stallone is… if you said 70, you’d be right
- This is also National Fried Chicken Day in the United States
- and finally today is “Take your webmaster to lunch day”
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 6, 2016
- Where in the multiverse have Chuck and Kreg been?
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 06 – Peter (1982, Sweden)
- 08 – Trampas Whiteman (aka Dragonhelm)
- 08 – Mark Lee (aka geekdad72) Stardate -351519.09
- 08 – Alan Ralph (a.k.a. MonTemplar)
- 09 – Jack and Tiffany’s Wedding
- 10 – KHD a.k.a. The Devin
- 11 – Steven Truax (rednecktech)
- 12 – Shadowbird712 of Shadowbird Studios (http://shadowbirdsrandomcrap.blogspot.com/) (Sorry for the cheap plug, y’all)
- 12 – François Pominville nickname: Bookaroo (Year: 11110110001, Canada)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout. If you think you’ll miss the announcement on FB, Twitter, etc. go to http://bit.ly/TechnoramaLive. If we’re not there, you’ll catch the back shows.
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- J.R.R. Tolkien Reads from The Lord of the Rings and Sings “Sam’s Rhyme of the Troll” in a Rare Recording – Brain Pickings
- See the New USS Enterprise in Mind-Blowing Detail
- Five Amazing Facts About NASA’s Mission to Jupiter
Question of the week:
- What is a little known factoid that you think only you (or very few others) know about? (about .. Computers, media, anything)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428) 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five