Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Steve Webb’s
- Tee Morris VMails (Again)
On This Day In History for April 13, 2016
This is the 104th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 262 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 1111 that Henry V is crowned Holy Roman Emperor.
- That same date in 1742, George Frideric Handel’s oratorio Messiah makes its world-premiere in Dublin, Ireland.
- Also today in 1849, Hungary becomes a republic.
- The New York City Metropolitan Museum of Art is founded on this date in 1870.
- That same date in 1902, James C. Penney opens his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- The Jefferson Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C., on the 200th anniversary of President Thomas Jefferson’s birth on this date in 1943.
- CIA director Allen Dulles launches the mind-control program Project MKUltra on this date in 1953.
- That same date in 1960, The United States launches Transit 1-B, the world’s first satellite navigation system.
- 46 years ago today, an oxygen tank aboard Apollo 13 explodes, putting the crew in great danger and causing major damage to the spacecraft while en route to the Moon.
- April 13, 1974, Western Union (in cooperation with NASA and Hughes Aircraft) launches the United States’ first commercial geosynchronous communications satellite, Westar 1.
- The United States Treasury Department reintroduces the two-dollar bill as a Federal Reserve Note on Thomas Jefferson’s 233rd birthday as part of the United States Bicentennial celebration on this date in 1976.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Guy Fawkes, the English soldier who planned the Gunpowder Plot, born on this date in 1570.
- The inventor of the Screw-pile lighthouse was born on this date in 1780 – happy birthday to Alexander Mitchell.
- Italian engineer Antonio Meucci was born today in 1808.
- Also born today in 1850, Arthur Matthew Weld Downing, the Irish astronomer.
- Frank Winfield Woolworth, the founder of the F.W. Woolworth Company was born April 13, 1852.
- Sharing that same birth date in 1866, Butch Cassidy.
- The man who created the game of Scrabble, Alfred Mosher Butts was born today in 1899.
- Robert Orville Anderson, the founder of the Atlantic Richfield Oil Co. would have been 99 today.
- Agent Maxwell Smart, Actor Don Adams was born today in 1923.
- Another actor, better known as Wally Cleaver, Tony Dow turns 71.
- Hellboy, Ron Perlman, is 66 today.
- and rounding out or birthdays with another actor (and director) Ricky Schroder is 46.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 13, 2016
- SpaceX rocket booster makes breakthrough landing at sea | Reuters
- Japan’s Invisible Train Should Be Running By 2018
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 14 – Danny Harnish
- 16 – Donna Tomasi
- 18 – Skaifey (Anthony)
- 19 – Amanda (SusietheGeek’s daughter & Geek in Training)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Beer On The Go: The ManCan Portable Keg System | Geekologie
- 19-year-old programmer creates free robot lawyer to save money on legal fees | Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout. If you think you’ll miss the announcement on FB, Twitter, etc. go to http://bit.ly/TechnoramaLive. If we’re not there, you’ll catch the back shows.
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chad D||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
This week’s topic: RockBot
Follow up to last week: Pay at the pump
- Journey into the center of a CPU (Click load more images to see more)
- Now There’s Video of BB-8’s Surprise Visit to NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab
Question of the week:
- Ginger or Marianne?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428) 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five