Coming up in this episode…
- Rich beggars
- We’ll tell you who shot first!
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- VM: Krazy Joe – first CD
- FB: First CD
- Ben: Soundtrack to Star Wars Ep IV
- Janet: Probably a Madonna Album
On This Day In History for March 9, 2016
This is the 69th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 297 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 632 that The Farewell Sermon (Khutbah, Khutbatul Wada’) of the Islamic prophet Muhammad.
- It was 1007 years ago today that First known mention of Lithuania, in the annals of the monastery of Quedlinburg.
- The fleet of Pedro Álvares Cabral leaves Lisbon for the Indies. The fleet will discover Brazil which lies within boundaries granted to Portugal in the Treaty of Tordesillas 516 years ago today.
- It was 220 years ago today that Napoléon Bonaparte marries his first wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais.
- The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush 174 years ago today.
- That same date in 1862, American Civil War: The USS Monitor and CSS Virginia fought to a draw in the Battle of Hampton Roads, the first battle between two ironclad warships.
- McCarthyism: CBS television broadcasts the See It Now episode, “A Report on Senator Joseph McCarthy”, produced by Fred Friendly on this date in 1954.
- 57 years ago today, The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York
- Dr. Belding Hibbard Scribner implants for the first time a shunt he invented into a patient, which allows the patient to receive hemodialysis on a regular basis 56 years ago today.
- Also today in 1961, Sputnik 9 successfully launches, carrying a human dummy nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich, and demonstrating that Soviet Union was ready to begin human spaceflight.
- Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits the Hale-Bopp comet to be seen during the day 19 years ago today.
- That same date in 2011, Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing after 39 flights.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- The man for which our crazy country was named, Italian cartographer and explorer, Amerigo Vespucci, born on this date in 1854.
- German astronomer and theologian, David Fabricius was also born on this date in 1564.
- Born March 9, 1824, the founder of Stanford University, Amasa Leland Stanford.
- American computing pioneer Howard Aiken was born today in 1900.
- Paul Wilbur Klipsch, the founder of Klipsch Audio Technologies was born today in 1904.
- The first man in space, Russian colonel, pilot, and astronaut, Yuri Gagarin would have been 82 today.
- American chess player and author Bobby Fischer would have been 73.
- And finally, Journalist David Pogue is 53.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 9, 2016
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 09 – Tim Adamec
- 09 – Lisa Godo
- 09 – Ed Ovett
- 11 – Andy Helsby of Absoblogginlutely!
- 11 – Ken Kitzman a.k.a kitzken
- 12 – Chooch Schubert
- 13 – Johanna Gonzalez a.k.a. MightyJo
- 13 – Eric Rice
- 14 – Pi Day (3/14)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five