Coming up in this episode…
- Keep your eyes peeled
- An old favorite played a new way
- Reading, Writing, and Recursion
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for March 2, 2016
- It was on this date in 1498 that Vasco da Gama’s fleet visits the Island of Mozambique.
- Mendoza, Argentina is founded by Spanish conquistador Pedro del Castillo on this date in 1561.
- That same date in 1791, Long-distance communication speeds up with the unveiling of a semaphore machine in Paris.
- The Bank of England issues the first one-pound and two-pound banknotes 219 years ago today.
- United States Steel Corporation is founded as a result of a merger between Carnegie Steel Company and Federal Steel Company which became the first corporation in the world with a market capital over $1 billion on this date in 1901.
- 83 years ago today, The film King Kong opens at New York’s Radio City Music Hall.
- It was 67 years ago today that Captain James Gallagher lands his B-50 Superfortress Lucky Lady II in Fort Worth, Texas after completing the first non-stop around-the-world airplane flight in 94 hours and one minute.
- The first automatic street light is installed in New Milford, Connecticut on this date in 1949.
- It was 47 years ago today that In Toulouse, France, the first test flight of the Anglo-French Concorde is conducted.
- Also today in 1972, The Pioneer 10 space probe is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida with a mission to explore the outer planets.
- That same date in 1983, Compact discs and players are released for the first time in the United States and other markets. They had previously been available only in Japan.
- Researchers at Fermilab announce the discovery of the top quark 21 years ago today.
- In 1998, Data sent from the Galileo spacecraft indicates that Jupiter’s moon Europa has a liquid ocean under a thick crust of ice.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American soldier and politician, 1st President of the Republic of Texas Sam Houston, born on this date in 1793.
- Also born March 2, 1862 – Boris Borisovich Golitsyn, Russian physicist and seismologist.
- The inventor of the PAL color television system, German engineer Walter Bruch was born today in 1908.
- Happy 80th birthday to Haroon Ahmed, Pakistani-English engineer and academic.
- Dr. Beverly Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation, actress Gates McFadden is 67 today.
- Karen Carpenter, of The Carpenters would have been 66 today.
- Actress Laraine Newman is 64.
- Jon Bon Jovi turns 54.
- and finally, former James Bond, Actor Daniel Craig is 48.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 2, 2016
- Eyeball tattooing – from MRM
- A smartphone for under $4.00?
- Fermilab has discovered a possible new Tetraquarks
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 07 – Ben Maddox a.k.a. CptRootbeer
- 07 – Caleb from Dancing With Elephants
- 08 – Ali Zein Yousuf a.k.a. superAL1394
- 08 – BJ Keifer a.k.a bjk
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
Thank you Patrons!
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chad D||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn|
- Chicago requires HS kids to take CS courses
- Chuck’s two weeks off
Question of the week:
- What was the first CD you purchased?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five