Coming up in this episode…
- Lead balloon
- Wax Woz
- Another use for Viagra
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for June 3, 2015
This is the 154th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 211 days remaining in 2015.
- It was on this date in 1539 that Hernando de Soto claims Florida for Spain.
- June 3, 1621, The Dutch West India Company receives a charter for New Netherland.
- That same date in 1888, The poem “Casey at the Bat”, by Ernest Lawrence Thayer, is published in the San Francisco Examiner.
- The transcontinental Canadian Pacific Railway is completed on this date in 1889.
- Also today in 1889, The first long-distance electric power transmission line in the United States is completed, running 14 miles (23 km) between a generator at Willamette Falls and downtown Portland, Oregon.
- The launch of Gemini 4, the first multi-day space mission by a NASA crew. Ed White, a crew member, performs the first American spacewalk on this date in 1965.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Scottish-English mathematician and astronomer David Gregory born on this date in 1659
- Also born on this date in 1864 Ransom E. Olds, the American businessman who founded Oldsmobile and REO Motor Car Company.
- Adelaide Ames, American astronomer was born June 3, 1900.
- This is also the 86th birthday of Chuck Barris, American game show host and producer who created The Newlywed Game and The Dating Game
- American computer scientist and engineer David L. Mills turns 77 today.
- Susan Landau the American mathematician and engineer is 61.
- and finally, American lawyer, academic, and author, founded the Creative Commons Lawrence Lessig is 54.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 3, 2015
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 04 – Leo Schrauwen – history and pictures from Ekeren (Antwerp, Belgium) in Dutch
- 04- Tara Parkman (daughter of Richard Parkman)
- 06 – Adam Larson (UncleAdam)
- 06 – Grandma Grace (1921)
- 08 – Bobby Irvin
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Scotland Yard feared Star Trek cause a doomsday cult
- Chuck calls “shenanigans” on GoTG
Question of the week: What tech terms need to die?
End of Show Stuff
Sorry, no show next week (June 10), Chuck is away on business – again!
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five