Coming up in this episode…
- and *I* don’t know if this show will be any good.
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes.
- Trampas: Barbie story
On This Day In History for December 17, 2014
Today is December 17, the 351st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 14 days remaining until the end of the 2014.
- It was on this date in 497 BC that the first Saturnalia festival was celebrated in ancient Rome.
- That same date in 1790, was the Discovery of the Aztec calendar stone.
- First performance of the Unfinished Symphony by Franz Schubert was on this date in 1865.
- Several flight related events were on this date. In 1903, the Wright brothers make the first controlled powered, heavier-than-air flight in the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The first flight of the Douglas DC-3 was on this date in 1935. and it was 67 years ago today that First flight of the Boeing B-47 Stratojet strategic bomber.
- The United States successfully launches the first Atlas intercontinental ballistic missile at Cape Canaveral, Florida 57 years ago today.
- Project Blue Book: The United States Air Force closes its study of UFOs 45 years ago today.
- December 17, 1987, Final Fantasy is released in Japan on the Famicon, marking the start of the Final Fantasy series and saving Square from bankruptcy.
- It was 25 years ago today that The first episode of television series The Simpsons, “Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire”, airs in the United States.
- SpaceShipOne, piloted by Brian Binnie, makes its first powered and first supersonic flight on this date in 2003.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to
- French mathematician and physicist, born on this date in 1706.
- Also born on this date in 1778, English chemist and physicist Humphry Davy.
- Burt Baskin, American businessman, co-founded Baskin-Robbins would have been 101 today.
- The computer scientist who developed the APL programming language, Kenneth E. Iverson, was born today in 1920
- and finally actor, director, and screenwriter Eugene Levy, turns 68 today
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 17, 2014
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 17 – Jorge Schrauwen
- 20 – Phil Burchill (will be 0x21 in 2006)
- 21 – James Ballard KarakSindru
- 22 – Bo Pace
- 22 – Luke “Chuck’s Stalker” Smith (2000)
- 22 – Jason Pelloni, Tampa, FL
- 23 – Richard Green
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Ikea Replaced All the Seats In This Movie Theater With Comfy Beds
- iRobot’s newest machine is made for student hackers
- 80th Anniversary Monopoly Set Includes Game Tokens From Across the Ages
- The top tech gifts of holidays past
- Send letters to the editor by computer!
- Christmas present for nerdy boyfriend? What do you get for the nerd on your list??
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five