Coming up in this episode…
- Space Monkeys
- Monkey butlers
- and Monkeys that are super-smart and secretly run the US Government
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- “Technorama – it’s the smartest thing you’ve done all day – yeah, you’re having one of THOSE days again, aren’t you?”
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 01 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 01 – Brandon Kirkwold – MN
- 02 – Chuck Provenzano aka podlurker aka Chuck’s evil twin
- 02 – Oreo Cookie Monster
- 03 – Euan Campbell McGregor – Scotland, UK
- 03 – Adam Steppe
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Mark in Memphis
On This Day In History for January 30, 2013
This is the 30th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 335 days remaining in 2013
- It was on this date in 1790 that the first boat specializing as a lifeboat is tested on the River Tyne.
- Also on this date in 1806 the original Lower Trenton Bridge, which spans the Delaware River between Morrisville, Pennsylvania and Trenton, New Jersey, is opened.
- Edward Bransfield sights the Trinity Peninsula and claims the discovery of Antarctica today in 1820.
- The Menai Suspension Bridge, considered the world’s first modern suspension bridge, connecting the Isle of Anglesey to the north West coast of Wales, is opened on January 30, 1826.
- 151 years ago today – The first American ironclad warship, the USS Monitor is launched.
- MS Hans Hedtoft, said to be the safest ship afloat and “unsinkable” like the RMS Titanic, struck an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank, killing all 95 aboard on this date in 1959.
- Ranger 6 is launched 49 years ago today.
- Today in 1969 – The Beatles’ last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records in London. The impromptu concert is broken up by the police.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States born today in 1882.
- also born on this date in 1912 – German physicist Werner Hartmann
- Lex Luther, or at least the one I grew up with, actor Gene Hackman, is 83.
- Musician Phil Collins, turns 62 today
- And finally Batman, actor Christian Bale, turns 39.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 30, 2013
- JJ Abrams to Direct Star Wars?
- Finally we can get settle that, “Who will win in a fight. Star Wars or Star Trek”
- Now with more lens flares.
- Kind of gives a whole new meaning to “Bad Robot”
- FDA Says It’s OK to Have Robot Doctors
- Speaking of Robot surgery…Robot With A Chainsaw Carving Stools
- Why Lego Is Awesome: The Heartwarming Story of a Kid Who Lost a Minifig
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Not affiliated with the calculators
- Thanks Mark Payne for loaning me his Farscape DVD collection!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five