Coming up in this episode…
- Research results from MMORPGs vs. AT&T DDoS
- We take you behind the scenes of one of your favorite movies
- A message from 20 years ago still holds true
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 25 – Kreg Steppe
- 26 – Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for January 23, 2013
This is the 23rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 342 days remaining in 2013
- It was on this date in 1656 that Blaise Pascal publishes the first of his Lettres provinciales.
- Also on this date in 1849 – Elizabeth Blackwell is awarded her M.D. by the Geneva Medical College of Geneva, New York, becoming the United States’ first female doctor.
- It was January 23, 1855 – The first bridge over the Mississippi River opens in what is now Minneapolis, Minnesota, a crossing made today by the Father Louis Hennepin Bridge.
- 104 years ago today the RMS Republic, a passenger ship of the White Star Line, becomes the first ship to use the CQD distress signal after colliding with another ship, the SS Florida, off the Massachusetts coastline, an event that kills six people. The Republic sinks the next day.
- Today in 1957 – American inventor Walter Frederick Morrison sells the rights to his flying disc to the Wham-O toy company, who later rename it the “Frisbee”.
- 53 years ago today the bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to 10,911 m (35,798 feet) in the Pacific Ocean.
- Final communication between Earth and Pioneer 10 was exactly 10 years ago today.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- English mathematician John Landen born on this date in 1719
- also born on this date in 1745, English canal engineer William Jessop
- German physicist Ernst Abbe was born today in 1840
- January 23, 1855 marks the birth of American inventor John Moses Browning
- Buck Rogers, or rather the actor who portrayed him on the TV series, Gil Gerard, turns 70 today
- Finally, MacGyver, and Colonel Jack O’Neill, actor Richard Dean Anderson, turns 63
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 23, 2013
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Metric system?! Some thing we need base 12!
- I now know the final piece of my death plan – as a tree
- Introducing the “shovel drive”
- TOS Captain Pike had no clue about the show
- Spiderman window washer brings smiles to children’s hospital
- Stan Lee is a real superhero
What the Chuck!
What the Kreg!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Thanks to JT Shea for our closing song. His podcast is Drawing the wrong Conclusion
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five