Coming up in this episode…
- Wookies wookies everywhere
- Cell phone app saves boy’s life
- Conspiracy theorist: Felix Baumgartner’s jump was done in a sound stage
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 10X more geeky fun stuff is going on our Technorama Facebook page. If you haven’t liked it, you’re missing out!
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for January 9, 2013
- It was on this date in 1768 in London, England, Great Britain, Philip Astley stages the first modern circus.
- That same date in 1793, Jean-Pierre Blanchard becomes the first person to fly in a balloon in the United States.
- Sir Humphry Davy tests the Davy lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery today in 1816.
- January 9, 1839 – The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts on this date in 1894.
- 104 years ago today, Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nautical miles (180 km; 112 mi) from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.
- On this date in 1923 – Juan de la Cierva makes the first autogyro flight.
- First flight of the Avro Lancaster. was today 72 years ago.
- And today in 1960 – President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser opens construction on the Aswan Dam by detonating ten tons of dynamite to demolish twenty tons of granite on the east bank of the Nile.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to
- Russian mathematician, Vladimir Steklov born on this date in 1864
- Also born on this date in 1886 – Lloyd Loar, Acoustical engineer and inventor of the Gibson F-5 mandolin
- Former Green Bay Packers quarterback and coach Bart Starr turns 79 today
- Bob Denver, the actor who played Gilligan on the TV show Gilligan’s Island was born today in 1935.
- American singer and activist Joan Baez turns 72
- and finally, the iPhone was announced 6 years ago today on January 9, 2007
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 9, 2013
- New Arizona bill could outlaw parody twitter accounts
- The U.S. should go metric!
- Thinking of smuggling dino-bones? Think again
Hacks & Strange Stories
What the Chuck!
- How did you do on your 2012 goals?
- What do you have planned for 2013?
- Any predictions?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five