In this episode…
- Not too soon to think about the holidays
- Turn your cell phone into a time machine
- What would you do with 1,000 computers?
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- PC Haring – Olympic Swimsuits
- Ben S – Walking Dead Apocalypse
Dog Days of Podcasting
30 days of podcasting .. everyday.
- Kreg Steppe - Spyndle.com- rss
- Chuck Tomasi - Freestyle - rss
- Mad Marv - Madmarvonline.com - rss
- Justin Diehl/nulloperations - Hiddennode - rss
- Clinton/comedy4cast – comedy4cast.com - rss
On This Day In History for August 8, 2012
- It was on this date in 1576 that the cornerstone for Tycho Brahe’s Uraniborg observatory is laid on Hven.
- John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage today in 1585.
- Also today in 1709 Bartolomeu de Gusmão demonstrates the lifting power of hot air in an audience before the King of Portugal in Lisbon
- August 8, 1786, Mont Blanc on the French – Italian border is climbed for the first time by Jacques Balmat and Dr Michel-Gabriel Paccard.
- 209 years after John Davis’ search for the Northwest passage, Joseph Whidbey leads an expedition to search for the Northwest Passage near Juneau, Alaska. That was on August 8, 1794.
- 136 years ago, Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- Today in 1908, Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight on August 8, 1929.
- Just one year after the first atomic bomb was dropped, we saw the first flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produce nuclear weapon delivery vehicle.
- This is also the 49th anniversary of the Great Train Robbery in England. A gang of 15 train robbers steal 2.6 million pounds in bank notes.
- On this momentous day in 1974 – President Richard Nixon, in a nationwide television address, announces his resignation from the office of the President of the United States effective noon the next day.
- Today in 1989 the space shuttle Columbia, takes off on mission STS-28 on a secret five-day military mission.
- The Warsaw radio mast, at one time the tallest construction ever built, collapses on this date 21 years ago
- 12 years ago Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is raised to the surface after 136 years on the ocean floor.
If you were born on August 8, you share your birthday the likes of:
- American physicist and Nobel Prize laureate Ernest O. Lawrence, born on this date in 1901
- Also born today 110 years ago today, English physicist and Nobel Prize laureate Paul Dirac
- Two birthdays for August 8, 1921, British Physicist John Herbert Chapman and actress/swimmer Esther Williams
- British physicist Sir Roger Penrose turns 81 today
- The man who brought us TV series like Magnum P.I., Airwolf, Quantum Leap and many others, TV producer Donald P. Bellisario, is 77 today
- Celebrating her 64th birthday today, Russian Cosmonaut and the first woman to perform a space walk, Svetlana Savitskaya
- Irish guitarist for U2, The Edge is 51 today.
- Swiss Tennis player Roger Federer turns 31
Finally, August 8th is the earliest day on which Melon Day, celebrated on the second Sunday in August in Turkmenistan can fall, while August 14 is the latest.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 8, 2012
- Ben S – Tales from ComicCon – Walking Dead Apocalypse
- PC Haring – Olympic swimsuits
Hacks & Strange Stories
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 08 – Philippa Ballantine
- 09 – Matt Coe (WoWaddict) 
- 09 – Julia Posz – (Technorama Promo)
- 10 – Sam Martin
- 11 – Steve Wozniak
- 11 – David Brewer (Tyrion The Imp)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Really? Shinzon is Bane? Check out this Tom Hardy screen test from Star Trek Nemesis
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- Reminder: Listen to the Dog Days of Podcasting
- binary high five