In this episode…
- Slight adjustment to Mayan doomsday due to leap seconds
- Lost your keys? We’ve got an answer for that
- Beer made from cow dung
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Happy Birthday to:
- 26 – Aaron Heath (Adelaide, Australia)
- 27 – Wife of Will The Computer Guy
- 29 – Shaun Farrell, host of the Adventures in Scifi Publishing podcast
- 30 – Brian Hunt aka Zaphodbblx
- 31 – Wedding Anniversary of Will The Computer Guy (2007, 9 years)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for July 25, 2012
- It was on this date in 1788 that Wolfgang Mozart completes his Symphony No. 40 in G minor (K550).
- The first commercial use of an electric telegraph is successfully demonstrated by William Cooke and Charles Wheatstone on 25 July 1837 between Euston and Camden Town in London.
- Wyoming becomes a United States territory today in 1868.
- It was also today in 1909 that Louis Blériot makes the first flight across the English Channel in a heavier-than-air machine from (Calais to Dover) in 37 minutes.
- Also on this date in ,1920 the first transatlantic two-way radio broadcast takes place.
- July 25, 1925 – Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union (TASS) is established.
- An atomic bomb is detonated underwater today in 1946 in the lagoon of Bikini atoll.
- 56 years ago today, 45 miles south of Nantucket Island, the Italian ocean liner SS Andrea Doria collides with the MS Stockholm in heavy fog and sinks the next day, killing 51.
- Today in 1959, the SR-N1 hovercraft crosses the English Channel from Calais to Dover in just over 2 hours.
- Bob Dylan goes electric as he plugs in at the Newport Folk Festival, signaling a major change in folk and rock music 47 years ago today.
- Soviet Mars 5 space probe launched 39 years ago.
- Viking 1 takes the famous Face on Mars photo today in 1976.
- It was July 25, 1984 aboard Salyut 7 that cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya becomes the first woman to perform a space walk.
- And 12 years ago – Air France Flight 4590, a Concorde supersonic passenger jet, F-BTSC, crashes just after takeoff from Paris killing all 109 aboard and 4 on the ground. Signaling the end of the Concorde program.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- German physician, mathematician, Lorenz Christoph Mizler born today in 1711
- American astronaut Paul J. Weitz turns 80 today
- Podcaster and writer Mur Lafferty, is 39
- and finally the world’s first test tube baby, Louise Brown turns 34
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 25, 2012
- Quick announcement: We will be doing another live show at Dragon*Con Friday night Aug 31st. Join us!
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Paper Perfume
- So THAT’S where I put my pen!
- OK, who ate my liver with fava beans?
- For those who didn’t make it to ComiCon… here’s the numbers
- Build a crystal radio!
- Earn college credits looking for alien life – FREE
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Don’t forget, Dragon*Con – Friday night. Live show!!!
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five