Coming up in this episode…
- A cloudy cloud solution
- Boost your cell phone signal with a banana
- Felonious assault by another comic character
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Happy Birthday to:
- 04 – Mike McBride
- 06 – Peter (1982, Sweden)
- 08 – Mark Lee (aka geekdad72) Stardate -351519.09
- 08 – Alan Ralph (a.k.a. MonTemplar)
- 10 – KHD a.k.a. The Devin
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for July 4, 2012
- It was on this date in 1054 that a supernova is seen by Chinese, Arab, and possibly Amerindian observers near the star Zeta Tauri. For several months it remains bright enough to be seen during the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula.
- At West Point, New York the United States Military Academy opens on this date in 1802.
- also on that date in 1817 – construction on the Erie Canal begins at Rome, New York.
- Grand Junction Railway, the world’s first long-distance railway, opens between Birmingham and Liverpool 175 years ago today.
- and on this date in 1862 – Lewis Carroll tells Alice Liddell a story that would grow into Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and its sequels.
- The book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is published exactly three years later to the date.
- July 4, 1886 – The people of France offer the Statue of Liberty to the people of the United States.
- That very same day, the first scheduled Canadian transcontinental train arrives in Port Moody, British Columbia.
- 120 years ago today, Western Samoa changes the International Date Line, so that year there were 367 days in this country, with two occurrences of Monday, July 4.
- On this date in 1903 – Dorothy Levitt is reported as the first woman in the world to compete in a ‘motor race’.
- First flight of the Lockheed Vega was today in 1927.
- Leo Szilard patents the chain-reaction design for the atomic bomb on this date in 1934.
- 62 years ago marks the first broadcast by Radio Free Europe.
- It was today in 1997 that NASA’s Pathfinder space probe lands on the surface of Mars.
- The cornerstone of the Freedom Tower is laid on the site of the World Trade Center in New York City 8 years ago.
- and today in 2005 – The Deep Impact collider hits the comet Tempel 1.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Welsh surveyor George Everest, born today in 1790. Can you guess what he’s famous for?
- Writer Nathaniel Hawthorne born today in 1804
- The other half of Barnum & Bailey, American circus impresario, James Anthony Bailey was born today in 1847
- American film producer Louis B. Mayer would have been 140 years old today.
- Sharing that same birthday in 1883, American cartoonist Rube Goldberg
- Twin sisters who went in to the same occupation, advice columnists, Ann Landers and Abigail Van Buren (aka Dear Abby) were born today in 1918. Ann passed away 10 years ago, and Abby turns 94 today.
- Reporter Geraldo Rivera turns 69.
- Video game designer and astronaut, Richard Garriott, celebrates his 51st birthday today
- and finally, turning 41 today, Koko, the sign-language gorilla.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 4, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Breathing is now obsolete – Aquaman loses job!
- Rock paper scissors robot
- Rock paper scissors is serious business! – From Tim Elliott
- Meet the FIRST Spider Man comic character
- Who knew Daleks have manners?
- A short discussion about “Brave”
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five