In this episode…
- A hill of beans actually does amount to something
- Another perfectly normal thing shaped like a gun
- Have you seen the new iPad? Are you sure?
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 23 – Steve Riekeberg a.k.a. MissingIntellect of Geek Cred
- 23 – Richard Parkman
- 25 – Nicholas St Gabriel
- 26 – Chuck Tomasi
- 26 – Brina Baird in Hampton, VA
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for March 21, 2012
This is the 81st day of the year. There are 285 days remaining in 2012.
- It was on this date in 1871 that Journalist Henry Morton Stanley begins his trek to find the missionary and explorer David Livingstone.
- Also on this date in 1928 – Charles Lindbergh is presented with the Medal of Honor for the first solo trans-Atlantic flight.
- Alcatraz, a federal penitentiary on an island in San Francisco Bay, closes on this date 49 years ago.
- NASA launches Ranger 9 which is the last in a series of unmanned lunar space probes, March 21, 1965.
- Today in 1970 – The first Earth Day proclamation is issued by Mayor of San Francisco Joseph Alioto.
- It was also March 21, 1980 – On the season finale of the soap opera Dallas, the infamous character J.R. Ewing is shot by an unseen assailant, leading to the catchphrase “Who shot J.R.?“
- and 13 years ago Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones become the first to circumnavigate the Earth in a hot air balloon.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- German composer 1685 – Johann Sebastian Bach, (d. 1750)
- French mathematician 1768 – Joseph Fourier, (d. 1830)
- American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate 1932 – Walter Gilbert,
- The man who plays Alexi Volkhoff on one of our favorite shows, actor Timothy Dalton, turns 66.
- American computer scientist Scott Fahlman celebrates his 64th birthday today
- and finally Ferris Beuller, actor Matthew Broderick, turns 49.
- International World Puppetry Day
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- Mother’s Day (in most of the Arab World)
- Truant’s Day in Poland
- International Earth Day
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 21, 2012
- Unix Creators get their day!
- How do you like your new iPad? Are you sure?
- Cape Cod doctor offers vasectomy and free pizza
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Elaborate Steampunk wine bottle opener
- Old time stock ticker gets new life
- Not just the musical fruit: Beans can be deadly
- Pics of Katee Sackhoff in the upcoming Riddick movie
- Which Batmobile would win a race, 1966 or 1989?
What the Chuck!
- Bad idea: A camera shaped like a gun
What the Kreg!
- Breaking News.. Ninja Turtles are an Alien Race? Tough, edgy? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles no longer mutants? Really, Michael Bay?
End of Show Stuff
- Don’t forget -only a few more days to let us know if you want to March in the Dragon*Con parade with us! Deadline is March 31, 2012. It’s shaping up to be a great team!
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: technorama [at] chuckchat.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five