In this episode…
- Think it’s cool to be in a Star Wars film? Think again.
- The stupid things people put on Facebook
- A lot of interesting stuff from yester-year
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 16 – Michelle Lopez a.k.a. CntrySigns
- 18 – Gregory Lemon of Myth Show and Myth Minute
- 19 – JT Shea of The Gigcast and JT Ukes at 40
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for March 14, 2012
This is the 73rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar, there 292 remaining in 2012.
- It was on this date in 1794 that Eli Whitney is granted a patent for the cotton gin.
- That same date in 1903 The Hay-Herran Treaty, granting the United States the right to build the Panama Canal, is ratified by the United States Senate. The Colombian Senate would later reject the treaty.
- It was also March 14 1910 that the Lakeview Gusher, the largest U.S. oil well gusher near Bakersfield, California, vented to atmosphere.
- Orvan Hess and John Bumstead became the first in the world to successfully treat a patient, Anne Miller, using penicillin today in 1942.
- 48 years ago today a jury in Dallas, Texas, finds Jack Ruby guilty of killing Lee Harvey Oswald, assumed assassin of John F. Kennedy.
- Linux kernel version 1.0.0 is released today in 1994.
- Astronaut Norman Thagard becomes the first American astronaut to ride to space on-board a Russian launch vehicle on this date in 1995
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli, born on this date in 1835
- German scientist and Nobel laureate Paul Ehrlich, was also born today in 1854
- Also born today in 1863 – American railroad engineer Casey Jones
- A name everyone recognizes, Mr. E=Mc2, Albert Einstein was born today in 1879
- Polish mathematician Waclaw Sierpinski was born 130 years ago today
- Aircraft designer for the Douglas Aircraft company, Ed Heinemann was born on this date in 1908
- American astronaut and CEO Frank Borman turns 83.
- and finally American astronaut, Eugene Cernan, celebrates his 78th birthday today.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 14, 2012
- Woman finds husband’s other wife on Facebook
- Mythbusters may be able to save sunken cruise ship
- Personal Note: Going to see Mythbusters in Raleigh in a couple of weeks
- USS Enterprise Takes Its Final Voyage – Slashdot
Hacks & Strange Stories
- 1939 – Robot Dog gets kills chasing car
- Behold the biggest prop airplane
- An eReader from 1935
- The first robot brains were made from alarm clocks
- Rocket powered mail… Why not?
- Muppet’s Dr. Bunsen Honeydew congratulates Mars Rover Team
- It’s not easy being young Anakin Skywalker
- Dick Clark is Selling His Flintstones Home | Cartoon Brew
End of Show Stuff
- We will be dressing and marching as MIB again in the Dragon*Con Parade! Let us know if you want to join us in the parade before March 31, 2012
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five