Coming up in this episode…
- Apollo 11 contingency plan
- Read the classics on the loo
- Reality imitates podcasts
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 08 – Jan Scott from Yorkshire, UK
- 08 – Blake Noble in Pittsburgh, PA
- 09 – “Podcast” Mike Wills from Minnesota
- 10 – Zach Akgulian – Appleton, WI
- 10 – Drace (Shari from ND)
- 14 – Douglas E. Welch of Career Opportunities Podcast
- 14 – Andrew back in Illinois
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On This Day In History for February 8, 2012
This is the 39th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 326 days remaining in 2012.
- It was on this date in 1879 that Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- D.W. Griffith‘s controversial film The Birth of a Nation premieres in Los Angeles on this date in 1915
- February 8, 1922 – President Warren G. Harding introduces the first radio in the White House. For the first three weeks, everyone thought it was some kind of radiator.
- After 84 days in space, the crew of Skylab 4, the last crew to visit American space station Skylab, returns to Earth on this date in 1974.
- And 16 years ago today – The massive Internet collaboration “24 Hours in Cyberspace” takes place.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- French astronomer Jacques Cassini born today in 1677
- Also born on this date in 1700, mathematician Daniel Bernoulli
- French author Jules Verne would be celebrating his 184th birthday today
- Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev was born today in 1834
- and born today in 1906 American physicist and inventor Chester Carlson
- Writer John Grisham, turns 57 today
- Bassist for the band “Spock’s Beard” Dave Meros turns 56
- and finally actor Gary Coleman would have been 44 had he not passed away in 2010
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 8, 2012
- If Newt gets his moon base, we already know what Women will be doing
- Bacteria colors your poop to tell what ails you
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Perhaps inspired by Clinton’s virtual table of random things? – The Swap-o-matic
- Moby Dick printed on toilet paper
- Does ATM stand for “Auto-Transfer Mouse?”
- Maybe a Star Trek living room wasn’t such a good idea
- Heroes and Villains D&D Alignment Chart
- The Death and Return of Superman
What the Chuck!
What the Kreg!
- Star Trek TNG on Blu-Ray
- Ever ready a research paper? Ever wonder what it REALLY means?
- February 1st was “Change Your Password” day
- Chuck has so many, he’s taking the whole month!
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five