In this episode…
- A PSA about phone etiquette
- 10 technologies congress tried to kill
- Does Steven Hawking have an equation for time travel?
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 21 – Michael Rabalais – Stingray42
- 22 – TAW012294
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On This Day In History for January 18, 2012
- It was on this date in 1535 that Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro founded Lima, the capital of Peru.
- That same date in 1778, James Cook becomes the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the “Sandwich Islands”.
- It was also today in 1788 that the first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrives at Botany Bay. (Yes, I put this in just for the Star Trek reference)
- 1884 – Dr. William Price attempts to cremate the body of his infant son, Jesus Christ Price, setting a legal precedent for cremation in the United Kingdom.
- The X-ray machine is exhibited for the first time on this date in 1896
- President Theodore Roosevelt sends a radio message to King Edward VII: the first transatlantic radio transmission originating in the United States on January 18, 1911
- Also on that same date – Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco harbor, in the first time an aircraft landed on a ship.
- A 611 gram chondrite type meteorite strikes a house near the village of Baxter in Stone County, Missouri today in 1916.
- Today in 1919, Bentley Motors Limited is founded.
- Scientists identify a previously unknown bacterium as the cause of the mysterious Legionnaires’ disease on this date in 1977.
- And just 15 years ago, 1997, Boerge Ousland of Norway becomes the first person to cross Antarctica alone and unaided.
- The Tagish Lake meteorite impacts the Earth today in 2000
- Seven years ago, the Airbus A380, the world’s largest commercial jet, is unveiled at a ceremony in Toulouse, France
- And today, yes TODAY is the Internet blackout to Protest Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act (PIPA).
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- 1813 – Joseph Glidden, American farmer who patented barbed wire born today in 1813
- Also born today in 1854 is Alexander Graham Bell’s notable partner, Thomas Watson
- Turning 79 today Ray Dolby, the American inventor of the Dolby noise reduction system (no it wasn’t Thomas Dolby)
- and finally actor Kevin Costner turns 57
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 18, 2012
- Don’t be THAT guy! – mute your phone
- 19 foot lego Saturn V rocket
- Microsoft patents GPS to avoid questionable areas – feature for walkers
Hacks & Strange Stories
- From Mike Wills – Matchbox launcher that reacts to emergency band radio
- Unicorn poop rainbow cookies
- Calling in stupid
- Star Wars Budget
- Man on A Mission – Richard Garriott’s story – Want to see
- New USS Enterprise Plush and Star Trek Door Chime Coming To ThinkGeek
- (from Chuck’s Dad) – Italian to Inglese conversion
- From Phil Clark: 10 predictions from 100 years ago that came true
- Second source: Geeks are Sexy
- No, Steven Hawking does not have an equation for time travel. Here’s the fax to prove it!
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five