Coming up in this episode…
- The mother of WiFi
- More earwear to go with your ear guards
- Add a little high tech holiday cheer
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 14 – Michael Spence from Brother Osric’s Scriptorium
- 17 – Jorge Schrauwen
- 20 – Phil Burchill (will be 0×21 in 2006)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On This Day In History for December 14, 2011
- It was on this date in 1782 that the Montgolfier brothers‘ first balloon lifts off on its first test flight.
- That same date in 1896, the Glasgow Underground Railway is opened by the Glasgow District Subway Company.
- Max Planck presents a theoretical derivation of his black-body radiation law today in 1900
- Two years later, the Commercial Pacific Cable Company lays the first Pacific telegraph cable, from Ocean Beach, San Francisco to Honolulu, Hawaii.
- December 14, 1903 – The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- Roald Amundsen‘s team, comprising himself, Olav Bjaaland, Helmer Hanssen, Sverre Hassel, and Oscar Wisting, becomes the first to reach the South Pole today in 1911.
- It was also on this date in 1962 that NASA‘s Mariner 2 becomes the first spacecraft to fly by Venus.
- and today in 1972 Eugene Cernan is the last person to walk on the moon, after he and Harrison Schmitt complete the third and final Extra-vehicular activity (EVA) of the Apollo 17 mission. This is the last manned mission to the moon of the 20th century.
- and just five years ago American spy satellite USA-193 is launched.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Tycho Brahe, Danish astronomer and alchemist born on this date in 1546
- also born today in 1909 American geneticist and Nobel laureate Edward Tatum,
- one of my favorite comedian/musicians, Spike Jones was born today in 1911
- sharing the same birthday is German/American aerospace engineer Hans von Ohain
- Soviet physicist and Nobel laureate Nikolay Basov was born on this date in 1922
- Dutch chess grandmaster Jan Timman turns 60 today
- and finally Canadian astronaut Steven MacLean turns 57
And today is Monkey Day – a day when monkey business is actually encouraged (a quote from Hallmark Cards)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 14, 2011
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Steering wheel desk now with cup holder
- More earwear: Keep those ears warm
- Bad idea to get out of work
- Now you can get in to space – you just have to die first
- Did you know actress Hedy Lamarr is the mother of WiFi?
- Favorite sci-fi/fantasy insult
- Nobilis Reed - “Why you stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf-herder.” “Who’s scruffy looking?!”
- David Roberson
- So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. – SpaceBalls
- You better pray to the god of skinny punks that this wind doesn’t pick up, ’cause I’ll come over there, and jam an oar up your ass. – Tommy Boy
- “DIE GAS-PUMPER!” – The Jerk
- Johnee Bee Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
- Matt Beran To the pain.
- Jorge Schrauwen Only human. — Matrix
- Debra Paulson Resistance is futile — Next Generation, Star Trek. If you consider that an insult. It’s more of a threat.
- Sam Vander Velden: “Assimilate This!” -Worf from First Contact
- Leon W. Durivage ?”I hate warriors, too narrow-minded. I’ll tell you what I do like though: a killer, a dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold blooded, clean, methodical and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF-1, would’ve immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun. ” – Zorg, The Fifth Element
- Joe Fiore Kirk: Spock, you want to know something?, Everybody’s Human. Spock: I find that remark… insulting.
What the Chuck!
- Do you turn off your phone on the airplane during takeoff and landing?
- Infographic – eletrical outlets of the world
- Wisconsin boy builds lego farm equipment
- Hey Netflix customers – turn your flat screen TV in to a fireplace
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five