Coming up in tonights show…
- Hijackers hijack search results
- How they dealt with lithium in 1947
- Hack your Mac classic to something you’ll use every day
On This Day in Tech History
- 1492 – Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to set foot on the island of Hispaniola.
- 1848 – California Gold Rush: In a message before the U.S.
Congress, US President James K. Polk confirms that large amounts of
gold had been discovered in California.
- 1893 – First appearance of an electric car.
- 1926 – Sergei Eisenstein’s Battleship Potemkin premieres.
- 1932 – German-born Swiss physicist Albert Einstein is granted an American visa.
- 1945 – Flight 19 is lost in the Bermuda Triangle.
- 1958 – Subscriber Trunk Dialling (STD) is inaugurated in the
UK by Queen Elizabeth II when she speaks to the Lord Provost in a call
from Bristol to Edinburgh.
- 1958 – The Preston bypass, the UK’s first stretch of
motorway opens to traffic for the first time, now part of the M6 and
- 1989 – TGV Atlantique sets a new railways speed record with 482.4 km/h.
- 1547 – Ubbo Emmius, Dutch historian and geographer (d. 1625)
- 1863 – Paul Painlev