Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- If you could cancel any current TV show, what would it be?
On This Day In History for March 18, 2020
This is the 78th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 288 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1850, that American Express was founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- It was 146 years ago today, that Hawaii signs a treaty with the United States granting exclusive trade rights.
- It was also this date in 1892 that Former Governor General Lord Stanley pledges to donate a silver challenge cup as an award for the best hockey team in Canada; it was later named after him as the Stanley Cup.
- March 18, 1965, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
- It was on this date in 1968, that the U.S. Congress repealed the requirement for a gold reserve to back US currency.
- A Vostok-2M rocket at Plesetsk Cosmodrome Site 43 explodes during a fueling operation, killing 48 people on this date in 1980.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and astronomer, Philippe de La Hire, born on this date in 1640.
- Christian Goldbach, Prussian-German mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1690.
- Grover Cleveland, the American lawyer and politician, 22nd and 24th President of the United States was born 183 years ago today.
- Born March 18, 1848, American architect and engineer Nathanael Greene Herreshoff.
- German engineer, who invented the Diesel engine, Rudolf Diesel was born 162 years ago today.
- Agnes Sime Baxter, Canadian mathematician was born on that same date in 1870.
- American physicist and engineer, Thomas Townsend Brown was born 115 years ago today.
- American businessman, co-founded the E & J Gallo Winery, Ernest Gallo, born on this date in 1909.
- Born March 18, 1926, American actor and director Peter Graves.
- American journalist and actor, George Plimpton, born on this date in 1927.
- James J. Andrews, American mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1930.
- Danish mathematician and statistician, Ole Barndorff-Nielsen is 85 today.
- American singer-songwriter, Wilson Pickett, born on this date in 1941.
- Also born on that same date in 1944, Australian publisher and businessman, founded Dick Smith Electronics and Australian Geographic, Dick Smith.
- American businessman and philanthropist, co-founded Ben and Jerry’s, Ben Cohen, born on this date in 1951.
- Swedish physicist and astronaut, Christer Fuglesang is 63 today.
- American singer-songwriter, actress, and producer, Irene Cara, born on this date in 1962.
Listener birthday calendar
- 18 – Gregory Lemon @ GregoryLemon.com
- 19 – JT Shea of The Gigcast and JT Ukes at 40
- 19 – Michael R. Mennenga
- 21 – “Krazy Joe” Fiore, MegaPodTasticand Honey, You’ve *GOT* to See This!
- 23 – Steve Riekeberg a.k.a. MissingIntellect of Geek Cred
- 23 – Richard Parkman
- 25 – Nicholas St Gabriel
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 18, 2020.
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- NASA and private sector have big plans for space travel
- We’re not saying Earth is doomed… but 139 minor planets were spotted at the outer reaches of our Solar System. Just an FYI, that’s all • The Register
- Internet Providers Won’t Cut Off Users Over Unpaid Bills for 60 Days – The New York Times
- U.S. internet well-equipped to handle work from home surge, experts say
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Are We Ready for Quantum Computers? – Scientific American Blog Network
- Newly Discovered Deep Sea Coral Garden Could Unlock the Ocean’s Secrets
Question of the week
- What are your favorite mobile games?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five