Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for October 30, 2019
This is the 303rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 62 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1925, that John Logie Baird creates Britain’s first television transmitter.
- Orson Welles broadcasts his radio play of H. G. Wells’s The War of the Worlds, causing anxiety in some of the audience in the United States on this date in 1938.
- Also on October 30, 1945, Jackie Robinson of the Kansas City Monarchs signs a contract for the Brooklyn Dodgers, breaking the baseball color line.
- It was 66 years ago today, that President Eisenhower approves the top-secret document NSC 162/2 concerning the maintenance of a strong nuclear deterrent force against the Soviet Union.
- Also on October 30, 1961, The Soviet Union detonated the Tsar Bomba, the most powerful explosive device ever detonated.
- Also today in 1973, The Bosphorus Bridge in Turkey is completed, connecting the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosphorus for the second time.
- Also on October 30, 1985, the Space Shuttle Challenger lifts off for mission STS-61 -A, its final successful mission.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English physicist, mathematician, and architect, designed St Paul’s Cathedral, Christopher Wren, born on this date in 1632.
- German electrical engineer, invented the Enigma machine, Arthur Scherbius was born 141 years ago today.
- Italian-American bodybuilder, Charles Atlas, born on this date in 1893.
- Manx archaeologist, historian, and curator, David M. Wilson is 88 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1939, American singer-songwriter and model, Grace Slick.
- American singer-songwriter and producer (The Temptations), Otis Williams, born on this date in 1941.
- Also born on that same date in 1945, American actor, comedian, director, and producer, Henry Winkler.
- Also turning 68 today is American actor Harry Hamlin.
- American actor, game show host, and producer, Kevin Pollak is 62 today.
- Also turning 56 today is American video game designer and programmer Rebecca Heineman.
- American visual effects designer and television presenter, Tory Belleci is 49 today.
- Also turning 32 today is Canadian entrepreneur, co-founder and Chief Scientist of LightSail Energy Danielle Fong.
- 30 – WolfGeek (Indiana)
- 01 – Amber Elstad
- 02 – Mark McCoy
- 03 – Ken Pace
- 03 – Craig Glassner (aka Ranger Craig)
- 04 – Avner (OMG, its 2014 – I’m 40 already)
- 05 – Michael Corlett (from New Zealand)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 30, 2019
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Air Force finally retires 8-inch floppies from missile launch control system | Ars Technica
- Alien hunters, NASA team up to scan planets for signs of intelligent life – CNET
Hacks & Strange Stories
- How Dolphins on LSD Shaped the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence – Supercluster
- A NASA moon lander has been missing for decades. We tried to find it. – Business Insider
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||ǝlqoN uɥoſ||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer||Encaf1|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week
- If you could get the real answer to any question or mystery in the world, what would you want to know?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five